Lolita

Author's note: Last names have been redacted to maintain anonymity.

The morning I left my previous home to meet with Ms. A was warm and sunny. The wind blew lightly overhead, children played in the streets with hoses and the like. I thought myself silly to have worn a three piece suit, but nonetheless, I felt under dressed for the occasion.

When I arrived, there were two parallel rows of rose bushes that led me to the front door. Her home seemed well lived in, comfortable. The decor outside of her house was typical of that of a single mother, and I chuckled at the sight.

She came out to greet me in a hurry, wearing an apron and fixing her hair. Her dark complexion favoured well with the cherry red of her jewlery, nails, and lipstick. Her voice, unnervingly ecstatic, came in a hurry.

"Hello, Sage! I've been expecting you all morning. I'm just baking some pies for after dinner." She smiled, straightening out her dress. "How was your trip?"

I nodded, forcing myself to grin back at her.

"It was fine, thank you. No need to rush to bake, I've just eaten... What do you have here?" I gestured to the lines of trees, agape in the center with stone decorations and fake gargoyles.

She smiled, taking my arm daintily and striding towards them.

"These are the infants of a garden I hope to revive in the Spring... It will be lovely, can't you imagine?" She rest her head on my shoulder and I stiffened, uneasy at the touch of her. Smiling, I nodded and we continued walking.

"This house is just wonderful, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. Oh, there's my Natsu..."

As her speech drifted, I was taken aback by a sight not like anything mundane I'd ever come across.

Sitting amongst the flowers and grass was a young boy, perhaps in his teens. He lay on his stomach with his legs hanging freely in the air, seeming to caress a book, or perhaps some paper and ink. He wore a lacey white dress that clung to his body under the direct stream of the sprinklers. Unphased by the water he hummed, moving his head back and forth. His brown hair curled and fell loosely about him, red undertones catching the prism of light at perfect angles, making him appear to glow.

I felt my breath hitch in my throat and I clutched my coat to my chest. Ms. A smiled admiringly towards her child, and I stood in a daze, helpless. He looked absolutely ethereal. I wanted nothing more than to pause that moment forever, gazing longingly towards the boy. He was so delicate, so pure, and I was itching to hold him.

One step forward granted me his attention, and his round hazel eyes met mine. He stared for a moment, not shying away from the presence of a stranger, and smiled wide, revealing a metal brace on his top row of teeth.

Steadying myself, I crouched down next to him and offered my hand, mesmerized by his angelic smile. He took it gracefully, and I felt myself nearly whimper.

"My name is Sage D, it's a pleasure to meet you," I started, praying my voice didn't give away my excitement at his touch. "Has your mother told you anything about me?"

I saw him glance to her then and smile wider, a light and lovely laugh escaping his lips.

"Yeah, a little bit. You're gonna marry her or something, right?" He tilted his head as he inquired, and our hands stayed loosely clasped.

I nodded, allowing myself to chuckle.

"Yes, and I'm moving in. I can't wait to spend time with you, Natsu."