Hunting

"Well, what do you know, the old outpost is still here. Rich, remember when we used to pee behind that?"

"Damn right! Haha! Vic, didn't you almost get caught there?"

"Bah. It was Walt's fault. He tied my shoelaces."

"Oh come on, you fell over your laces because they weren't tied!"

"Walt tied it to my ankles! We wouldn't have been found out if Leo hadn't laughed out loud!"

They were midway through the North, this bunch of middle-aged men on a truck throwing banter and memories as they passed familiar landmarks of their childhood. It has been four decades since they've been to Northern territory, four decades since they've been disallowed to enter. Not that they were banned, but their parents thought it best for them never to set foot again in these parts. They got a lot of warning back then after what happened. They heeded, of course. They were kids, they were afraid of what could happen to them, especially after seeing their friend die on the tracks. They weren't even allowed to visit Leo's funeral. And they never understood then how the older folks could make a big issue out of it. Their friend died in an accident, and it wasn't anybody's fault. They tried to save him, but it was too late.

"Bugs, do you think Jose would still remember us?"

"Hmp. He'd better. Otherwise I'm just spending my Friday morning on this joyride with you guys for nothing. We're too old for this."

"Just you, Mike. I don't feel a year over thirty."

"Hah! If you're thirty, that makes me twenty-seven! Ugh! Rich, careful with those road bumps!"

Jay's father shifted the truck gears as he tried to avoid the road bumps. They were getting near the town hall, and not a few people were openly looking and pointing at them as the truck passed. Jay and Chip were on their motorcycles, riding alongside the truck. And though he would normally laugh at his father's and friends exchanges, Jay was getting antsy over what will happen. He kept asking his dad and uncle what their plan was, but they just told him to let them do the talking. He was also eager to see if Dei would be one of the northern folk coming out to look at them.

They reached the town hall and not a few guards were forming what seemed to look like a battalion in front of it. Rich parked the truck on an empty lot beside the town square, and one by one the men got out. Bugs walked ahead of them, not waiting for Jay and Chip to catch up as the younger men parked their motorcycles.

"Hey Jay, are your dad and Uncle Bugs armed?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Did they bring anything with them? Like guns or even a knife?"

"I don't even know their plan Chip."

"Well...I brought a gun..."

"WHAT?! Why the heck would you bring a gun?!"

"It's a water gun, dork. It just looks real, only in case they start to, you know, gang up on us. To show them we're armed, too."

"Right. Like a water gun would help us when they start shooting us with real bullets."

They hurried and followed the older men to the town hall, who were now facing the head of police. There were ten guards facing them, Jay counted, but he can see a few others inside the building, and some on the rooftop. He was beginning to think that this Mayor Jose was as paranoid as he is power-hungry. He heard his Uncle Bugs calmly talk to the head of police, who was holding on to his holster as of ready to shoot.

"We're here to see your Mayor."

"What makes you think he'd want to see you, Southern folk?"

"We're his friends, you see, uhm...Captain Sanchez."

Rich addressed him by the name on his tag, making the man shift and glare at him. Bugs spoke again, making the captain turn his head back to him.

"Yeah, we're old friends of his. We go way back. Perhaps even before you were born. How old are you, maybe twenty seven? What do you think Vic? He's as old as your eldest, right?"

"He's probably thirty, but wait...Sanchez...are you related to Carlos 'Big Eyes' Sanchez? Bugs, you remember him right? Doesn't this young man look like Carlos?"

"He's got the same eyes. Yep. He's probably Carlos' son."

The captain took a deep breath, gauging how to respond to these men. He held his holster tightly, making the other guards shift and take a step forward. Then a booming voice was heard over a loud speaker that was surrounding the town square.

"Of course, he's Carlos' son. You still have that weird memory gift, Victor."

The southern men looked around, searching where the voice was coming from. The guards remained standing, glaring at them, watchful of their every move. Bugs shouted.

"Hey Jose, it's us. The old gang."

"I can see that. Archie, let them through."

A crackle was heard, then an irritating static noise. Captain Sanchez looked at each every one of the men, his gaze darkening when he saw Jay, before motioning for them to follow him inside the town hall. As they walked towards the building, the other guards made way for them to pass.

"Psst. I think Captain Archie likes you."

"Shut up Chip."

//

They walked past town-hall employees who were all bent down their tables as if doing paperwork, but Jay caught a few eyeing them as they made their way to the Mayor's office. The building was impressively huge, but the offices looked dreary, like the workers behind the desks. Each floor of the building had three to five guards with long rifles and small guns tucked in holsters. There wasn't an elevator in the building so they had to go up five flights of stairs all the way to the Mayor's office. Mike was beginning to complain.

"Damnit you guys, we're too old for this."

"That's because you never join us on our morning runs, you fat ass. You can't even see your own feet because of your beer belly."

"That's not a beer belly, Vic. Sarah just takes care of me very well."

"It seems Mike and Vic are still arguing over a lot of things."

They stopped in front of a widely open door, with the Mayor standing in the middle, his arms crossed in front of his chest. The men stood from a distance as Captain Sanchez went inside. The other guards took their places outside the door. As Captain Sanchez spoke with the Mayor in a low voice, Jay waited for a cue from his dad and uncle on what their next move would be. Should the Mayor or his Captain do anything drastic because of their presence there, he was ready to grab the water gun from Chip, pathetic that small weapon would seem. He jumped as Mayor Jose spoke again.

"Well, you old blokes, come in!"

Like ducks they went inside one by one, with Bugs leading them. Rich followed, then Vic and Mike. Jay and Chip went in last, and as they walked past the captain again, Jay felt his cold, angry stare. He wanted to punch the guy.

As Mayor Jose approached them, the four older men stood straight, unsure at what he would do. Bugs held out his hand, initiating a handshake. The Mayor just stared at his extended hand, took it and looked at Bugs in the eye. To their surprise, Mayor Jose pulled Bugs in for a hug. They started to laugh, as hugs and handshakes were exchanged among the old friends. Jay and Chip, even the Captain, stared at them disbelievingly.

***

Hunting. The destructive tendency of a truck to nose from side to side even though the train may be moving on straight track. (Railroading Glossary. TRAINS Magazine)