The Southern End

He grew up surrounded by green fields and bounty. He could not remember a time when their town experienced any disastrous event, save for the seasonal rains that happens predictably. And they are always prepared for it. Like clockwork, the people in their town would retain a portion of the previous season's harvest and produce, deposit to their food bank and stock own their own, and live the whole year without fear of getting hungry.

Yes, they were blessed on this Southern end of the tracks.

But they are not without controversy and intrigue, as with any community. One would doubt that everything is all fine and smooth all year through. He knows that in their town's history, there was once a dark period. A period of gloom that, according to their elders, was brought about by the Northern end. But they decided not to let it affect them, and instead they worked hard to prosper, leaving that dark past behind and pursued for a better present and an even brighter future ahead of them.

Jay was being groomed to lead that bright future, much to his hesitation. But he came from a long line of leaders in the South, and he has to keep that tradition of Faulkerson blood being at the helm. A lot of questions burn in his head, and though his grandfather patiently answers them, his father and uncle dismisses him. He has always been curious of what lies on the Northern end of the tracks, and though he and his friends once managed to cross the boundary, they were quickly chased away by the Northern guards. He saw how different their town was from the North. It bothered him that, even with just the tracks separating them, the North was so dark and gloomy. It wasn't just how the town looked, but he felt it in the air soon as they crossed the tracks leading to the town.

He planned on going back there, to see more for himself. He couldn't bring himself to accept that a town so near to them, their neighbors, should be in that state. He felt that something was pulling him to go back, some sort of gravity that he could not explain. He just knows that somewhere, in that bright future he was being groomed for, the Northern end has a big role to play in it.

//

He already saw her pedaling her bike to one of the larger rice fields. She was trying to be unnoticeable, he could tell, but wearing an all black ensemble in a sea of green made her standout, and he pointed her out to one of his friends.

"Do you know that girl? Have you seen her here before?"

Chip looked at where Jay was pointing at, easily locating the girl.

"Nope. She doesn't seem to be from here. Wait...hell, no..."

"What?"

"She's from the North, Jay. See the plate on her bike?"

The bike had a faded plate underneath the seat, and though he could not make out what was written, it was colored blue and it indicated registration from the North.

"I wonder what she's doing here..."

"What else? They're probably plotting a way to steal from us. Dude, you better call your uncle and report her trespassing."

"I don't think she's going to do any harm, Chip. Look how tiny she is."

"Jay, people from the North can be very deceiving. Hey, where are you going?"

"I'm just going to talk to her. Maybe she's lost."

He started his motorcycle and slowly rode towards the girl. But she was quick to sense the approaching motorcycle, so she pedaled quickly, in hopes of getting as far away as possible.

"Miss! Stop! I just want to talk to you! Miss!"

The girl made a quick turn once she reached the houses near the fields. It was a very narrow path and she easily made her way through. Jay didn't attempt to follow her in, but he turned around and made his way back to where he knows the girl might possibly exit. He knows exactly where she's headed. Down to the tracks.