Chapter 6: Just trying to help

Zoey's POV

"How was your talk?",tanong ni Nathan. Nag lunch kami sa office niya.

"You have to re-train your Sales Manager.",sabi ko. Kinwento ko ang nangyari.

"She's actually my Mom's second cousin, that's why she was hired. She's brilliant and she's our top sales personnel."

"I know, she's very smart I can see that but she's stupid at the same time. It's already one year since the incident and your sales havent improved since then. That is the fault of your Sales and Marketing Team. Kung matatag yung team niyo, they could have devised a way to re strategize but from my talk a while ago, she's still sticking to the old strategy. Hindi na magw-work yon. The trust of the clients are already lost, and that changes everything." Nakikinig siya ng mabuti sa akin.

"I understand your point." Sinabi ko sakanya ang pina assignment ko at nag-agree siya.

"Nathan, all your staff are brilliant. I see that, I saw how they processed what I  was pointing out. But they have to be redirected. And you really have to do something about the attitude of your Sales Manager. She's getting into my nerves."

"Hey, professionalism. Don't let your emotions eat you."

"Ugh, I know! I want to pull her hair out!" Tumawa si Nathan at lumapit sa akin. Niyakap niya ako at sinayaw sayaw.

"I missed you Nerd Ugly Duckling Brat.",sabi niya. Pinalo ko siya sa likod.

"Seeing you wrap your arms around me reminded me that I used to call you monkey.",sabi ko at tumawa siya.

Next week ko na ulit sila im-meet. Let's see what they have prepared.

Mabilis lumipas ang isang linggo at nasa parehas na conference room ulit kami. Ang set-up is one on one meeting, manager sa manager. We pretended that it's an informal meeting and I wanted to meet in a cafe. Articles about me are all over the internet.

I approched the chair from the set-up kung saan doon kami magkikita ni  Ms. Shara.

"Good morning Miss Zoey!", bati ni Ms. Shara ng lively na parang beshies kami since high school.

"Good morning!",sagot ko rin. "It's so nice to finally meet you."

"Pleasure's mine ma'am. I already ordered strawberry milkshake for you, I heard you like strawberries?"

"Oh, thank you. Yes I do love strawberries. "

"For someone as famous as you miss Zoey, people will be interested to know even your favorite color.",sabi niya at nag fake laugh. She used the "flatter" card. This is usually used between two females with similar lively personalities. I'm sorry, but I'm not comfortable with that kind of approach when I don't know that person. Pero ikalma mo Zoey, naaapektuhan ka ng judgement mo sakanya!

I laughed a little. "I'm all over the internet, that's basically common knowledge.",sagot ko at uminom ng tubig. Dumating na ang na order naming drinks.

"So miss Zoey or shall I call you Gen?"

"Anything's fine.",sabi ko.

"I saw your Instagram pictures, you've been to many countries now, what's your favorite country?"

"Philippines.",sagot ko. "Miss Shara, can we get to the point?", tanong ko. "Let me hear your proposal." Nawala yung ngiti sa mukha niya at tumaas saglit ang kilay niya. Mukhang nairita siya sa sinabi ko. And so it begins.

Nag explain siya tungkol sa mga proposal, brief background tungkol sa company, mga packages, mga needed na materials ng hotel, possible discounts, perks and other stuff. I liked the technical part because its's brief and straight to the point. What I don't like is her tone of voice
and her choice of words. She explained it to me like I'm some stupid grade schooler who doesn't understand a thing. She kept on using the phrase, "for you to understand" and she kept on smirking when I don't understand her terms.

Other than that, the technicalities of the proposal is excellent, it will benefit the company. However, there were two problems. So, I will not sign the contract for now.

"What? Why not? That was perfect. I apolied tour lesson.",sabi niya sa akin.

"First problem is that, this whole proposal will work prior to your company's crisis. You have to add details on how your client will be assured that your materials are safe just like how you presented it. You have to gain back your client's trust." sabi ko. Tumayo ako.

"Second problem miss Shara is that you only applied the knowledge that you know based on what is obvious. I love strawberries, I love the color violet and I was a model. That's common knowledge about me. It's good that you showed that you cared about those details through the drinks. However, the information from your profiling should not only apply as conversation starters, it should also be the guide of your conversation." Huminga ako ng malalim.

"I told you guys to research about me,  and for sure you now know who I am and what am I as a person."

"A brat?",tanong ng isang staff.

"Exactly! I'm a brat. I'm a rich heir brat. So what does that tell us?" Humarap ako kay Ms. Shara. "That leads me to the second problem. Knowing that I'm a brat who doesn't make friends easily, using flattery is good but combining it with an attitude like we're bestfriends is bad. Also, brats are brats because of their pride. They want to feel superior and the tone of your voice and choice of words offended me. You talked to me like I'm stupid.",sabi ko.

"In my defense ma'am, I considered that you're unfamiliar with the industry." Nakakunot ng noo si Shara.

"Good, that means you researched well, but you did not apply it to your advantage. Since I'm a brat with a high pride, you know that I don't want to be looked down. Kahit na mali ang  sagot ko sa one plus one, papangatawanan ko ang sagot kong three para hindi ako mapahiya. You chose the wrong words. You started with flattery but you ended like you insulted me."

"That's not my intention."

"I know but who cares about your intention if we're not on the same page? I will not sign your contract not because your proposal is bad but because I am not comfortable working with you, Miss Shara.",sabi ko. Inirapan niya ako.

"This is ridiculous.",sabi niya.

"What's ridiculous Miss Shara?" Nagulat kami nang nakatayo pala si Nathan sa pintuan. "I think Ms. Zoey, has a point. Sa ngayon para tayong mga manliligaw na sabik sa oo ng mga nililigawan natin. Kapag nanliligaw tayo, we need to control ourselves na hindi nila makita yung bad side natin."

"Sir Nathan, as the Sales Manager, our branding doesn't need this kind of tedious over flattering because we have the most beneficial packages for clients compared to the other companies."

"Yes, but that was before the scandal. Now, we're desperate. We need to be more active. It's not about the products, it's about the trust in our company. And devising strategies is your job miss Shara. I invited Miss Zoey because I've seen how she worked. You guys are the hope of the company.",sabi ni Luke.

Tinapos ko ang speech ko at iniwan sila para mag-meeting.

"Hindi mo ba kailangang sumama sa meeting?" Umiling ako.

"Nandoon na ang operations manager. Okay na.",sabi niya.