Chapter 5: Sales 101

Gen's POV

"Good morning everyone I am Zoey Mercado, former Sales Director of Mercado Management Group Korea and present acting CEO of Mercado Management Group Philippines." Nagbubulungan sila, nagtataka sila kung bakit ako nandito. Nag meet kami ng mga sales executives at marketing staff niya para sa first part ng talk, half day lang siya.

"I want to thank Mr. Nathan Reyes for inviting me to speak in front of you. The company is now facing a major crisis and I believe you already did what you can do to get back the trust of your clients. Setbacks like this often result to demotivation, but for the sales and marketing team, this is your biggest challenge. Kayo ngayon ang mag-aangat sa brand niyo. Infra Corporation will not end just because of an evil person, do you agree?" Um-oo sila ng mahina.

"I will not teach you how to sell, I will not teach you how to do the technicalities of ads, I will not teach you how to look for accounts because I know that you are all experts in that field. And different industries have their own unique way of marketing products. Magkaiba ang industry natin. But, one thing that is common between all of us Sales is communication. We have to enhance our communication. Gone are the days where we give out letters, email proposals and then wait for them to email back or respond. No! You have to show that you are desperate, that you are sincere, that you are capable of taking care of the trust they will give."

"Matrabaho, pero worth it. First step for everything is enhancing yourself. Alam ko namang alam niyo na 'to. I know that all of you face your clients with your best smile and your best outfit. But have you ever took time to do a background check of your clients before talking to them?" Nakatulala sila.

"As a Sales Director, I face many types of clients everyday. Some look grumpy but they just possess the resting bitch face and is actually a jolly person. Some look really expensive but has no class. Some look simple but is actually a billionaire. You have to know who your client."

"We actually do profiling ma'am.",sabi ng isang staff. Hindi ko gusto yung tono niya. Sinabi niya yon na parang sinasabi niyang alam na nila yung mga sinasabi ko. That is true, what I say are just basics pero hindi namamalayang hindi ginagawa.

"That's great. So, how do you use the knowledge that you have with that person?"

"We use those information as an opening conversation, when we want to get to know the client."

"Great, if that's the case. Is that it?"

"Yes, and if we saw that they are already comfortable, we get to the point.",sabi niya.

"And that works for you guys?" Tumango sila. "That's a bit old fashioned already."

"Old fashioned? I am working as a Sales and Marketing Manager for Five Years already and I worked in the Sales Department for a total of 10 years, and this worked everytime." , sabat ng isang staff na mukhang mas matanda sa iba. But she's well-groomed and smart looking. According sa nameplate niya, Shara ang pangalan niya.

"Oh, how long have you been working in the company?"

"I was hired 5 years ago."

"Oh, so you were the Manager when the crisis happened?"

"Yes." Gusto kong mag smirk. Ang yabang niya! Alam kong mas matanda siya pero hindi siya nakikinig. If this strategy worked and hindi na nila inimprove ito, this means na ito ang ginagawa ng mga subordinates niya. This is not being pro active at all! Nasa first point pa lang ako pero mag-iisang oras na kaming nagsasagutan.

"Are most of your clients, males?"

"Yes, I work well with male clients." I knew it! Sa industry nila, most of the bosses are male engineers and architects, maybe because the nature of the business is "traditionally" led by men. Hindi na ako magtataka kung bakit marami siyang nac-close na deal. She uses her charms and combination of wits as a women to convince the men.