Chapter 3- Maddy

Chapter 3- Maddy

I dropped my suitcase onto the bed in the spare bedroom which has become my bedroom. I started to unpack but I got interrupted.

'Hello' a girl about my age said as she walked in the door and sat on the edge of the bed.

I stared at her. She had long straight blonde hair that fell to about mid back and green eyes. She was wearing jeans and a T-shirt that's looks several sizes too big.

'Um do I know you?' I asked her.

'No' she said calmly and she got up and started to walk around my room.

'AUNTIE GEORGIA!!! THERE'S SOME CREEPY GIRL IN MY BEDROOM' I screamed as loud as I could.

'What??' Auntie Georgia said as she came in the door.

'Oh that's just the girl from next door. Maddy this is Mazie. Mazie this is Maddy'

'Um ok' I said, still really unsure of what the hell is going on.

Maddy came over towards me and held out her hand for me to shake. I shook it and she pulled me into a tight hug.

'I've been waiting for like forever for you to get here!' she said. 'Georgia has been telling me all about you for months!!! I'm an only child so I never really have anyone to talk to... But now I have you!!!!'

'Um ok' I said again.

'Mazie do you need anything?' Auntie Georgia asked me.

'No thanks I'm good' I told her and she nodded before walking out of the room.

I went back to unpacking and Maddy sat down in the desk chair. In my new room there's a double bed, a desk, a cupboard and a book shelf. It's a lot bigger than my room back home.

Don't think about it, I thought to myself. That place isn't home anymore. This is my new home and trust me, I'm going to make the best of it.

'So tell me about yourself' I asked Maddy.

She sighed. 'There's not a lot to tell. I'm 18 years old and I've lived in London all of my life. I'm an only child and my parents split up 6 years ago so I just live with my mum. I have no idea where my dad is but I use to hear from him but not so much anymore. I love painting and I want to be an artist. But mum wants me to be a teacher so we fight about it all the time. I have an obsession with the colour orange and I hate traffic lights. That's about it really, what about you??'

I kept my back to her as I put my clothes away and answered.

'Well my names Mazie Watkins and I was born in London and my family moved to Australia when I was 5. I'm an only child as well. I want to be a doctor so when the holidays are over I'm going back to school. I love reading and writing but I haven't done a lot of either for years'.

'See I could tell you had lived in Australia!!'

'How?'

'Um because you have a really strong accent!'

'Oh right...' I mumbled.

There was a silence then I asked the thing that had been bugging me for the last few minutes.

'You haven't asked about the face..' I said, turning around and pointing to the side of my face.

Maddy was silent for a second then said.

'Well I wasn't gonna say anything. I was waiting for you to mention it but I would never ask, it's rude. Beside I knew about it and it doesn't change my opinion of you.'

'And what is your opinion of me?' I asked with a smirk on my face.

She took a moment to think about it, then.

'Well I think that you and I are gonna be great friends!'

I smiled at her.

'Hey listen, I've been invited to this party at my cousin Gemma's, do you want to come with me?' she asked me.

'Of course I would! When is it?'

'Tomorrow' she replied.

I finally finished unpacking my stuff and Maddy and I spent the rest of the afternoon talking about our secret addiction to Harry Potter.

I could tell that we're going to be really close friends. She was so nice and friendly and didn't judge me in anyway. It had been a long time since someone had been this nice to me. Normally people just avoid me.

But I'm more worried about this party. I mean, what's it going to be like? I've never been to any party that hasn't been a birthday party where a princess has come and everyone dresses up as fairies. I'm pretty sure that it's not going to be one of those sorts of parties. But I know that I'm going to stand out a mile and everyone's going to stare at me and Maddy will be the only one that talks to me... I'm worried but excited. It could be fun.

It was 5.30 when Maddy got a text from her mum telling that she had to home back home. We hugged and she left while I went into the kitchen to help Auntie Georgia with dinner.

After dinner I went to bed early. Moving half way around the world is exhausting and I just want to go to sleep.

I lay down and placed my head against the pillow. This fresh start was already going well.