12th REBOUND

12th REBOUND

Kiefer woke up at around 3:00 in the morning and lazily switched off his buzzy alarm clock, he took his sanitary kit and took a five-minute shower. As the icy-cold water from his shower rushed down his bulky body, he remembered the words of wisdom of his senior again.

A smile crept up on his face as he thought of the plans he prepared for this day, he prepared for her. Kiefer decided to wake up this early to avoid the traffic along Loyola Heights and their subdivision located in Rizal. His captain Kirk, was already awake when he got out, the Senior couldn't help but smirk at the sight of the rookie, all dressed up in his usual, casual attire.

"Aga natin Paps ah! Where are you going at a time like this? It's still 3:00 in the morning, two hours 'till the sun shows up!" Kirk remarked while stifling his laugh, Kiefer just scratched the back of his neck and sighed in defeat.

"I'm heading home Capt. I have some things to pick there, I just woke up this early to avoid the traffic, that's all." Kiefer replied plainly, earning a sarcastic chuckle from his Captain.

"Uuwi ka lang pala nakabihis ka pa ng ganyan! Akala ko tuloy may liligawan ka ng ganito kaaga." Kirk stated, making Kiefer flush crimson red.

"Wait! Are you blushing?" Kirk exclaimed as he approached Kiefer and looked at him driectly, trying to make sure that both his eyes saw the truth. "Yieeee! Nagblu-blush ka nga! Is it true? May liligawan ka nga ano?" Kirk added, earning a light punch from his 'wonder-rookie'.

"No  Capt. I'm just heading home, wala akong liligawan ngayon." Kiefer exclaimed as he grabbed his sports bag and headed out. He was about to step outside of their cabin's door when Kirk spoke up again,

"Are you serious that you're really heading home? I mean, with a SPORTS BAG?" Kirk asked, giving emphasis on the word 'SPORTS BAG'.

"Yeah! Just in case I'll run short mamaya, I have an 8:00 am class today, then I'll head straight to training at 9:00." Kiefer replied, earning an enthusisatic nod from Kirk.

"ANO BA YAN ANG IINGAY NIYO!" Nico exclaimed as he draw both Kiefer and Kirk's attention. They just chuckled at him lightly before Kiefer bid goodbye to the two.

***

Kiefer arrived at their subdivision at around 4:00, he was enthusiastically greeted by Manong Alfonzo, the Ravena's personal security guard. He made his way to their kitchen and looked for Manang Mila,

"Manang Mila! I'm here na po!" Kiefer greeted as his childhood nanny corteously approached him and gave him a quick hug,

"Ang aga mo naman ata anak! What do you want me to do this time?" Manang Mila replied, giving Kiefer a knowing smirk.

Kiefer just chuckled at Manang Mila's antics, realizing that she really know the Ravena's like at the back of her hand, "I'll just ask you po if you can help me prepare breakfast" Kiefer politely replied.

"Para kanino naman iyang breakfast na iyan hijo? Para sa'yo ba?" Manang Mila asked again.

"Ahhh, h-hindi po, may pagbibigyan lang po akong kaibigan." Kiefer replied slyly, earning a teasing look from Manang Mila.

"Oh siya sige, tara magluluto na tayo" Manang Mila remarked as she made her way to the kitchen,

Kiefer, being the food maniac that he is, knows very well how to bake. While Manang Mila was doing the breakfast thing, Kiefer effortlessly made a dozen of his all-time favorite blueberry cupcakes.

He was already placing the cupcakes in the artsy box which he bought earlier just when Alyssa came in,

"WOW! Kuya can I have some?" Alyssa shrieked in delight, the moment she saw the blueberry cupcakes that her brother baked. She was about to pick one from the box when Kiefer playfully hit her hand.

"Oops! This is not meant for you, or from anybody inside this house." Kiefer smugly remarked as he carefully placed the cover on the box and tied a mint-green colored ribbon around it.

"Kuya naman eh! Pwede bilhin ko na lang? I'll give you 500 pesos for that!" Alyssa offered pleadingly, her eyes still focused on the cupcakes.

"Your money can't buy these cupcakes! Kahit isang milyon pa, hindi ko ibibigay 'to. Just bake some for yourself." Kiefer plainly replied, making his sister look at him in disappointment.

"You know naman na I can't bake eh! Nakakainis ka!" Alyssa exclamied stubbornly, earning a sarcastic laugh, from Manang Mila and Kiefer.

"Ah alam ko na! Ako na lang magbibigay niyan sa pagbibigyan mo!" Alyssa enthusiastically offered, her eyes shining bright.

"Nah. I can handle it! Get lost Baldo! Your antics won't work!" Kiefer exclaimed with equal stubborness as his sister showed earlier. Alyssa just grumpily stomped her way back to her room, as Kiefer just followed her with his eyes while stifling his laugh.

He looked at his watch and realized that it was already 4:30, he still has thirty minutes remaining to drive fast but safely towards Taft. He picked up the cupcakes and the breakfast that he and Manang Mila prepared and rushed to his car, his next destination is DLSU-Manila.

***

Mika ran circles around the DLSU Oval for an early morning jog. She used to do this whenever it is not necessary for her to wake up early in the morning. She already reached the fourth lap when she decided to take a five-minute break. She took her sports bag and quickly fished her bottle filled with icy-cold water. She checked her left arm, her watch reads exactly 5:00.

A minute later, she started jogging again around the oval, she's used to running miles everyday to exercise her joints which in turn, increase her vertical leap, giving her the ability to jump higher. She quickly fished for her iPod and played his new-favorite song, "With Love by Christina Grimmie."

With her iPod set to the maximum volume, Mika still heard footsteps trying to catch up with her. She looked at her left and was delighted to see her companion. She unplugged the pair of Yurbuds earphones from her ears and smiled at him, "What are you doing here in Taft? You're an eagle, are you not afraid of being shot?" Mika jokingly asked, making Kiefer chuckle audibly.

"Aren't you aware that you already shot me?" Kiefer replied, making Mika's eyebrows furrow. Her expression says it all.

"Shot where Kief?" Mika dumbly asked, looking straight in her track.

"In my heart. Kaya nga patay na patay ako sa'yo eh." Kiefer plainly replied, making Mika's face burn and turn crimson red. Mika glanced at her side, earning a mischievous wink from Kiefer.

"Ikaw Ravena ah, kay aga-aga sinasapian ka na naman ng mga mais sa buong mundo." Mika remarked, earning a light-hearted chuckle from Kiefer.

"What are you doing here Kief? May oval naman dun sa Ateneo ah." Mika asked him again, only gaining a disappointed look from the Phenom Eagle.

"You don't want me here do you?" Kiefer perfunctorily asked earning a snicker from Mika.

"It's not that Kief. I'm just not used to Eagles here in the Archers' place. Except for Kuya of course." Mika plainly replied.

"Uhmm, let's just say na I want to see you." Kiefer stated solemnly, his statement made Mika flush bright red again.

"Aahh." That was all Mika can utter, waiting for Kiefer's words to sink in her mind.

"Miss me?" She asked him jokingly the moment she was able to recompose herself.

"Yeah Baby!" Kiefer smugly replied. Mika, not expecting that kind of answer from Kiefer stopped dead on her track and just stared at him blankly.

"Huy! I was just bluffing Mika. I-I'm sorry." Kiefer asked for remission the moment he noticed Mika stopped jogging.

"Ahhh Kief, t-tapos na pala akong mag-jogging, ano nga kasi ang ginagawa mo dito?" Mika asked again, this time, she's asking for a serious answer.

"I just brought you some breakfast." Kiefer plainly replied.

Mika smiled at him warmly and gave him a quick hug, "How thoughtful of you Ravena. Thanks, sana hindi ka na nag-abala." Mika exclaimed slyly.

"Tara! Let's go to my car." Kiefer exclaimed as he guided Mika into his car and gave her the breakfast and the cupcakes he made.

Mika shrieked in delight the moment she saw the mouth-watering foods Kiefer had brought her. Due to total excitement, she hugged the Phenom Eagle tightly.

"Oh My Gosh! Thank you for these Kiefer! I really really love cupcakes, just so you know." Mika exclaimed happily.

Kiefer just watched Mika who was busy eating her breakfast and cupcakes happily. He adored Mika's childlike behavior when it comes to food, the place were filled with silence. Neither of them did not dare to muster a single word.

A few minutes later, Mika looked up to him and spoke up, "Do you want some Kief?"

Kiefer just snickered at her and shook his head, "Huwag na! Nahiya naman ako sa'yo, mukhang kulang pa sa'yo yan eh." Kiefer teasingly declined as Mika blushed again for the nth time this morning.

"Sorry talaga Kief ah! Hehe! I just got carried away sa pagkain. Are you really the one who prepared this?" Mika asked him solemnly.

Kiefer just smiled at her warmly and pouted, "Oo naman. You don't believe me Miks?" He asked, while clutching on his right chest, pretending to be hurt.

Mika just pinched his right cheek lightly and chuckled, "Of course I do. Hindi naman mahirap paniwalaan na you're a great cook." Mika replied, trying to cheer Kiefer up.

"You sure you like it?" Kiefer asked again.

"Oo nga! You're so makulit! I love it to be exact! Why did you brought me these? I know that Baldo is a cupcake monster, you should've given it to her." Mika exclaimed plainly, not taking her eyes of the beautifully decorated cupcakes that Kiefer gave.

"Nah! I've baked so much cupcakes for Baldo in my whole life. In fact, muntik na niyang kunin yan! But I did not give it to her." Kiefer plainly replied.

Mika just looked at him in awe an chuckled a bit, "Bakit mo nga ako dinalhan nitong cupcakes?" Mika asked again for the nth time this day.

Kiefer just snickered a little and turned to look at her. He gave her his warmest smile and in turn, said, "People say that 'a way to a man's heart is to fill his stomach' I just thought na baka pareho lang sa mga babae." Kiefer honestly replied.

Mika just stared at the Phenom Eagle blankly, waiting for herself to absorb the words that Kiefer uttered. After a few minutes of keeping herself flabbergasted, she composed herslef and took all the courage she has to ask him. She stood up and stared at Kiefer directly in the eye, with her heart beating rapidly, she nervously opened her mouth and uttered a single word, "Why?"

Kiefer looked at Mika and smiled at her for a few seconds. He scratched the back of his neck in disbelief, disappointed of Mika who still did not get the idea of him showing his affection, "You still haven't got my point, have you?" Kiefer asked solemnly, earning a faint shook from Mika.

"I like you." He smugly added, making Mika drop the box of cupcakes he made for her.

"What?" The lady dumbly asked.

"I like you Mika. Since the moment I first laid my eyes on you. I liked you, a lot." Kiefer confessed.

"Like as in like-like?" Mika asked slyly, still taking time to absorb Kiefer's sudden confession.

"Yeah. Like as in like-like." Kiefer confirmed.

Mika took another minute to absorb the words of the phenom, not knowing what to say and not knowing what to do, she laughed hysterically which made Kiefer frown a little bit, "LMAO Kief! Is this some kind of a sick joke?" Mika asked in between her laughs.

"No Miks. I'm serious, I like you, hindi ko sinasadyang biglain ka. But I like you." Kiefer honestly retorted.

"Oh." That was all Mika can utter as she felt stupid of what she did.

"I don't expect you to return the feeling Miks, I just want you to know. Are you mad at me?" Kiefer asked solemnly, his body shaking and his voice almost breaking due to sudden intimidation.

"No. T-Thanks Kief. For liking me." Mika replied, appreciating Kiefer's thoughtfulness.

"I'm not expecting you to reciprocate my feelings Miks but I just wanna hear your thoughts." Kiefer said plainly, his head focused on the ground, as if there's something interesting in his feet.

"Well, I'm caught off guard to be honest. I-I don't know what to say." Mika honestly replied.

"Iiwasan mo ba ako after nito?" Kiefer asked while quivering. Some part of him wishing that Mika won't do such thing.

"Of course... not." Mika replied, lifting Kiefer's emotion and making the mood lighter.

"Thanks Mika." Kiefer exclaimed.

The place was enveloped with silence amd the two just stared in nothingness. No one even dared to utter a single word. Both of them were still dumbfounded about the situation they just encountered a while ago. It took them twenty, long minutes until Mika spoke up, "I'm sorry Kief." She told him out of the blue.

Kiefer just looked at her blankly, with his eyebrows furrowed and a confusing look plastered on his face. "For what?" He dumbly asked.

"I can't like you back. I just can't reciprocate your feelings. I like someone." Mika confessed.

Kiefer heaved a deep sigh and dared to look at her directly in the eyes, "Si Jeron diba?" Kiefer asked her, earning a weak nod from Mika.

"It's quite ironic how I loved him so much. I devoted all my life to him, but he hates me. I feel so stupid Kief. I hate myself because I love him even if he's the biggest douchebag in the world!" Mika exclaimed stubbornly.

"Love really is weird huh?" Kiefer stated while staring at her.

"Yeah. Love is weird at all times. If pwede lang turuan ang puso kung sino ang mamahalin ko." Mika replied solemnly.

"If pwede mong turuan ang puso mo, sinong mamahalin mo?" Kiefer asked, sounding really interested.

Mika had to chuckle for a moment, she looked at him straight in the eye and gave Kiefer her sweetest smile, "Ikaw."

"T-talaga?" Kiefer replied with a serene smile curling up on his face.

"You know what. I am probably the luckiest girl alive because you like me. Anyone would die to be on my place, I know that!" Mika exclaimed smugly.

Kiefer nearly choked on the cupcakes he was munching after hearing the words uttered by Mika, he had to smile at her innocently and replied, "Hindi naman! Masayado mo naman akong binobola."

Mika just chuckled at him and lightly pinched his right cheek, "I have to go now Kief, I have an 8:00 a.m. class, I have to prepare pa. Thanks nga pala sa breakfast and sa cupcakes ah!" Mika said warmly.

Kiefer grabbed her by the wrist, the moment Mika walked away. She turned to look back at him and gave Kiefer a 'what now' kind of look. Kiefer shyly chuckled and scratched the back of his neck, much to Mika's disappointment. "Miks, can I take you out mamaya for lunch? You know, just a friendly date. I mean wala namang malis---" Kiefer wasn't able to finish what he's saying as Mika pressed two fingers in his lips and plainly replied,

"Yes."

She was about to walk away again just when Kiefer grabbed her by the waist this time, "Can I have a picture with you?" Kiefer slyly asked making Mika give him a knowing smirk.

"Dalian mo, maliligo pa'ko!" Mika demanded as Kiefer quickly fished his phone in his pocket. He took a single shot of themselves and looked at it.

"Patingin nga!" Mika exclaimed as she took the phone from Kiefer.

She had to laugh hysterically at the Phenom for being so stupid enough to take the 'selfie' with her, "Why didn't you set the camera into front mode? Look oh, mata lang natin, our foreheads and the strands of our hair ang nakita." Mika said stifling her laugh.

"Pagtiyagaan mo yang ka epic fail mo Ravena! Aalis na ako!" Mika remarked and left.

Kiefer, being the Twitter and Instagram addict that he is, decided to post the picture anyway. Having a picture with her literally made his day,

"Selfie with the Tower, epic fail THO. #camerashy"

***

Mika headed to Flaming Wings after her classes, it's where she and Kiefer decided to meet up for lunch. The Blue Eagle wasn't able to pick her up due to his 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. training, so she decided to go there by herself.

While waiting for her 'date' she caught a glimpse of a familiar person, surveying and observing the place, probably looking for some free table to sit.

"Jeron!" She screamed softly but loud enough for the King Archer to hear.

Jeron rolled his eyes at the sight of her smiling and waving at her. She gave him gestures allowing Jeron to sit with her. With all the disgust in the world, he slowly approached Mika and sat across the chair facing her, "What are you doing here? May hinihintay ka ba?" Jeron irritably asked.

Mika just nodded at him enthusiastically before taking a sip from her drink, "Si Kiefer! May date kami ngayon." Mika matter-of-factly said.

"What?" Jeron replied, obviously shocked.

"Ahhh friendly date pala." Mika slyly replied.

"Are you and Kiefer dating each other." Jeron asked.

"Hell no! Ngayon lang!" Mika honestly replied, making Jeron snicker fakely and stare at her.

"I don't believe you, mukhang may gusto sa'yo si Kiefer!" Jeron exclaimed.

"Alam ko, he confessed to me this morning!" Mika smugly replied almost making Jeron drop his jaw in front of her.

"He did? Anong sabi mo?" He said, panicking

"Anong pakialam mo?" Mika countered, and smugly smiled at him, making Jeron lean on the reclining chair and flush bright red.

"How are you and Baldo, k-kayo na ba?" Mika reluctantly asked, a part of her hoping for Jeron to say no.

"No." Jeron plainly replied, making Mika sigh in relief.

"But I guess malapit na." Jeron added as Mika nodded at him weakly.

The two were enveloped with silence after that silly conversation of theirs. They just look at themselves and look away again whenever one catches the other. It took them around ten minutes until Mika spoke up,

"Hindi ka pa ba kakain Je?" Mika asked reluctantly, making Jeron roll his eyes over.

"Hinihintay kaya kita." Jeron casually replied, making Mika gasp in astonishment.

"Seryoso?" She dumbly asked again.

"Mukha ba'ng nagbibiro 'tong mukhang 'to?" Jeron irritably responded, pointing himself with his index finger.

"Ugh! You're so stubborn!" Mika retaliated with equal irritation.

"Sino ba kasing hinihintay mo?" Now, it was Jeron's turn to ask some questions.

"SI KIEFER NGA!" Mika replied audibly, drawing the attention of other customers.

"Ba't di mo i-text? Or tawa--" Jeron wasn't able to finish what he was saying as a familiar voice spoke from behind.

"My Gosh Shoti! Are you dating this girl?" The girl hysterically asked. It turned out to be the New Yorker, Alyssa Teng.

"Hell no Achi! Wala na kasing ibang mauupuan so I shared a table with her. We're not dating, I don't have any plans at all." Jeron replied.

"That's good! Don't you even dare to date girls who are not classy enough to be the King Archer's girl." Alyssa remarked, stubborn as ever.

"Achi shut up! Just leave us alone!" Jeron demanded, making Alyssa stomp her feet out of the restaurant. He plainly looked at Mika, who's eyes were now swollen, tears threatening to fall from her dear chinky eyes.

"I'm sorry about that." Jeron asked for remission, about her sister's remorse.

"No it's okay Je. Umorder na nga lang tayo, mukhang hindi na makakarating si Kiefer eh." Mika softly stated.

The two decided to order and ate lunch together. As usual, neither of them didn't even utter a single word while they're eating, giving themselves the 'silent treatment' that they didn't even deserve. After having their lunch, Jeron casually bid Mika goodbye and headed straight home. Mika on the other hand thought of dropping by Toby's to buy a new pair of knee pads for their future games.

She was already inside the store when she caught a glimpse of the man she was waiting for earlier. Even with a little hate and irritation inside her, she still had the guts and took the opportunity to talk to him,

"Ba't di mo'ko sinipot?" Mika stubbornly asked, making Kiefer look at her with a blank expression, and without saying anything, he went straight to the cashier to pay the items that he bought. Mika had to follow him and grab him by the wrist.

"Bakit nga?" Mika asked again.

"I thought that you're not going to wait for me anymore, kasama mo na si 'JERON' diba?" Kiefer stubbornly replied, giving emphasis on Jeron's name. 

"Oh." Mika mumbled to herself, freeing Kiefer's wrist from her tight grip.

"Sorry." She serenly replied, making Kiefer's eyebrows furrow.

"It's nothing, I have to go." Kiefer said as he took all his items and walked away.

He went straight to the parking lot and looked for his car, not paying attention to Mika who was screaming behind her.

"Kiefer sorry na! Let me explain Kief! Sorry!" Mika shouted vociferously as Kiefer just hopped inside his car, pretending to hear nothing.

"Kief pag-usapan naman natin 'to oh!" She said pleadingly, while looking at Kiefer starting to rev up his car's engine.

"MIKA TABI!" Kiefer shouted at the top of his lungs before Mika heard a loud honk. She looked behind her and saw a sixteen-wheeler truck coming her way. The truck's driver seemed so drunk and lost control of the vehicle. She just watched there as it came closer and closer, only a single inch away from her.

"MIKAAAAAAAA!" That was the last thing Mika could hear before everything around her went black.

***

Author's Note

Sorry to keep you waiting folks. I hope you enjoyed reading this Chapter. Pardon me for some errors and please do leave some comments and suggestions below, anything to improve my writing skills. I'll try to update as soon as possible. God Bless.

Follow and Ask me on these sites:

Twitter: @victoriakleign | Ask.fm/coolspikerrr