Chapter Thirty Three - Sacrifice

Dad must be asleep, because when i walk out the house is dark and empty. 

The moment I am out the front door of my house, that eery feeling I have starts to grow. I lean against my car door and look out into the darkness, the forest regions around my house seemed empty. I knew better now than I ever did.

"Who's there?"

My heart was beating rapidly. I expected it to be Vlad, but I found someone different. "Sarah?"

Her head comes out of the shadows. She looked pale and on edge, looking around slowly before emerging further to where Im standing. "Hey, Valerie. Look-"

"Are you alright? I havent seen you since..."
"Yeah," she waves it away. "Look, I need your help."

She seemed hesitant, watching me nervously, waiting for me to respond. Why wouldn't I help her? She saved my life. Despite what Lynx has told me about her choosing to be with Vlad, she has never tried to hurt me, not yet atleast. I do owe her.

"What's happened? Are you hurt?"

She shakes her head and walks closer, moving fast this time, sure no one was watching her now. "I need you to hide me. Please."

"Hide you? Why?"

"He is after me. He thinks I want to run away with him. You're the only one that can understand... He is dangerous, and he loves me. That makes him crazy. Please, you need to hide me."

Sarah was sparking my anxiety. It meant Vlad was close, if not already here. Sarah had brought him straight to me, not that he didn't already know where my house was, but now we were both in danger.

"Okay," I tell her. "Hop in."

After running to the passenger side, in one smooth motion she ducks in and shuts the door, locking it straight away. I do the same, and drive off as quickly as I could.

I already knew where we were going. It changed nothing I had planned already for tonight, but I didn't exactly know how she would react. It felt like that should have been the least of my problems. Maybe it should. 

"So where are we going?" She asks. 

Oh. "Uh, we are going to see Lynx."

"As in my ex?"

I look at her briefly, but cant see her eyes, so I turn to the road. I was coming up to a red light, and I could see there was no traffic around, so I drive straight through. I could hear Sarah make a little scoff. 

"You think he can help?"

That I didn't know.  However, he did know more than both of us, so that was our best bet. "Pretty  sure."

"He can," she assures me, nodding to herself. " If he cares enough."

"I'm sure he does." I didn't want to defend Lynx, because I'm not the one that dated him when all of this started to go down, so what would I really know? That's probably what she is thinking.
"He told me he does," I add.

"He told you, huh?" 
There was a hint of flattery in her voice. 

"We are just friends."

I turn into Lynx's street at that moment, so Sarah decides not to bother responding, which is fine by me. Confrontations aren't number one on my list of things I need to do today. Plus, despite how badly she used to bully, I've grown quite fond of Sarah after our cells were next to eachother. Whatever her intentions with Vlad, I believe she has grown fond of me as well. 

We unlock our doors and jog up to the heavy door. Sarah pretty much throws herself against it, knocking three more times. "Let us in!"

A bored Lynx answers the door, expecting to find only Sarah, but at the sight of me, his eyes widen slightly. I could tell it made him slightly nervous to have both of us at the same place, and that made my attraction to Lynx fog. I mean, why worry? That seems like only an action he would let slip if he still had feelings for Sarah. 

So that answers that then. It was always a long shot. 

Sarah bursts through the door, Lynx standing aside without a word. I walk past him and the door is bolted behind us. That didn't change anything about how alert Sarah was. 

"What's going on?" Lynx speaks up, looking to me for an answer.

"If I tell you, will you listen?" Sarah says, "Or will it just go straight over your head like everything else?"