Chapter Fifteen-I don't like confrontation

I definitely didn't have any motivation for this.

Jane and i spent the whole day preparing for what i was about to do. I stayed silent most of the time, thinking over all the possibilities something could go wrong and what i could do now to prevent myself from getting hurt.

We bought a preparation smoothie and sat out the front of the school gate in my buggy, waiting for Lynx to ride out on his motorbike. My heart was hammering in my chest. I didn't know what was going to happen. If Lynx really is the killer i would be stupid to follow him, but i would be stupid to let him get away.

I tap my short nails on the steering wheel, willing myself to take deep breaths.

"Calm down, i can feel your anxiety from here."

"Jane," i lean back in my seat, keeping one eye on the school. "You know i'm always down for an adventure, but this is actually dangerous. Why am i the bait?"

She sighs, having repeated it three times now, "because i told you, you know him better than i do."

"But that's a bad thing. He already threatened me once. If you followed him he couldn't track you down and crucify you."

"So you want me to go?"

"No. I want us to go home, have some sushi, enjoy our lives."

With a short frown Jane thinks it over, looking like she almost gives in until she gives a smile, "the Val i know doesn't shy away from danger. Relax, he won't murder you."

"How do you know?"

"Because you won't get caught." There's a small, almost unnoticeable flinch in the upper corner of her right eye. I've been friends with her for five years, and i know some muscle always flinches when she's nervous. Is she doubting this as much as i am?

"I know you," she continues, seeing the concern in my face.  "You're the quietest person i know. Think of how quiet you will be when your life depends on it."

When your life depends on it...
It might just be my reluctance to complete this mission, but Jane doesn't seem to be making me feel any better. It doesn't help that she seems to be more nervous than i am.

"Thanks," i whisper, turning away from Jane. "Get out the car."

"What?" her head snaps towards me, out of thought, shocked. "I wasn't saying-"

"I don't want you with me if something goes wrong. If i'm doing this, i want to be completely alone." What i didn't say is if she gets in trouble i'll have to shift from what i'm supposed to be focusing on. I can't save her and worry about finding out if Lynx is a murderer. The other investigations were no where near as important as this. I need to utterly alone and without distraction.

"No way am i leaving," she says, "Jean hung out with me too. If Lynx killed him i want to be there when we figure it out."/

Staring at the windscreen, i heave an exhale, "Why don't you follow him then?"

The moment she fades into silence i have my answer. She's scared. I look at her and i can see now that she's terrified that Lynx is actually the one responsible for all these murders.

"Maybe you were right about getting the Police involved."

"Honestly, Jane, i wouldn't trust the police to do this. It has to be us. One of us. There isn't room for more things to go wrong."

"If something goes wrong i could save your life. What if he turns on you and no one is there to help?"

Despite her earlier reassurance that nothing will go wrong, she will bring up the possibility to get involved with this investigation. It can't happen, and i wish i could make her understand, or put it in more careful words and make her see i can't afford any distractions, and she is definitely a big one.