Chapter Five- Left For Dead

"No,no," Greg stops my playing, sharing a surprised look that i haven't noticed how out of tune my A string is.

He listens to it and twists the small tuner to the right, nodding proudly at his work and handing my violin back to me. "Just try that part again, will you?"

Nodding, i look at the music i asked Greg to get for me ages ago, something all folk violinists need to learn; The Devil Went Down To Georgia.

It's not an exam piece, i told my teacher i only wanted it for my concert this year in November, after graduation. With this piece, i figured i'd need all the practice i could get.

Getting successfully past the first few bars, Greg lifts up a hand and asks in his scottish accent, "what key are we in?"

I hesitate, theory has never been my strong suit, but as Greg has told me many times, its something i need to learn if i want a career in music.

He eyes me patiently and sighs. I almost feel sorry for him. Though he has told me i'm one of his more advanced students, im also painfully unorganised. Not once in the five years ive been attending violin lessons have i bought my own notebook.

"You seem distracted, lass."

I smile at him and shake my head "i just haven't played for awhile."

Being the understanding man that he is, Greg sits down and groans painfully with his arthritis. "Shall we have a break and go through your exam pieces? Show me the pieces you have chosen."

I unhook my satchel and grab the three stacks of sheet music, "The Coolin, Concerto in G, and Allegro."

"They all go for twenty minutes?"

"I've never timed it,' watching Greg look at the clock on the amphitheater wall and scratch at his grey hairs.

"It'll have to be next week," he turns to me, "so you really need to work on your theory, okay lass?"

As soon as he says it i give him a tight smile "yep."

He leads me to the door after i grab back my music and pick up my violin.

"ta," Greg says politely as i walk out.

"See you next-" i start, cut off mid sentence when i realise he already closed the door, which immediately made me feel like an idiot. Luckily, every studen staying after school for music lessons have not finished yet, so the halls are empty.

I start walking to the back exit, checking the time and quickly opening Janes message.

JaneyWaney
What time will you be here?

Sent 4:25pm, 22nd Aug, 2013.

I reply back, telling her i just left violin and i shouldnt be long. I almost didnt want to look at universities anymore. Ive missed too many classes, and with exams coming up, who knows how badly i will fail?

Walking down the steps, i turn to stride down the side of the school, when a faint whining catches my ear, forcing me to a stop.

I look in the direction it came from, having never heard that particular sound before. It seems to be out of the school, past the moped carpark and out the back gate. I creep closer for a better look and stand there, gaping at the scene infront of me.

A Ford Territory it looks like, has crashed up against a tree infront of the school. Noone seems to be around to help, and the faint whining becomes constant, coming from the drivers seat.

Digging in my satchel with shakey fingers, i grab my student ID and open the gate, dropping my case and jogging out towards the comotion.

The car doesnt look totalled. Because it hit the tree dead on, the front is bent inwards, glass shattered on both the car seats, but the rest of the car is intact.