Unexpected Arrival

I knew that Harry was going to find out about me not killing Ashley. I had arrived at Gridlock after making sure Ashley had gotten home. When I walked through the doors, I was greeted with a quick slap across my right cheek. I stumbled back a bit and looked up to see a very unhappy director. He was scowling and his eyes were staring at me like daggers.

Harry:You failed again! Honestly, what am I going to do with you?! I told you to kill her and you didn't! What were you thinking?!

I didn't answer. Instead I just stood there looking at him with a blank expression. I could tell he was getting angrier by my silence. He sighed and put his hand on my shoulder.

Harry:Honestly. What am I going to do with you? You're like my son Seth. And I feel like a father to you.

I felt a disgusted feeling deep within me. I didn't want him to be my father. I wasn't his son either. My dad died along with the rest of my known family. He definitely wasn't my family. I lied and told him I was tired. He allowed me to go up to my room. When I did, I got changed and looked at the mirror on the wall across from my bed. There was a red mark where Harry has slapped me. I lightly touched it and felt a small sharp pain shoot through my cheek. I just ignored it and got into the bed. I knew what I had to do. I had to find someway of getting out of Gridlock. I knew that once they set their eyes on a target, they won't stop until that target is destroyed. If only Ashley's father knew what he was getting into and how it was affecting the safety of his daughter. I let my mind drift as I slowly fell asleep. The dream I had was one I had often. It was of the night I lost my family. Their voices resonated as if wanting me to hear their words over and over. I could even feel the heat from the fire. The choking smell of the smoke. The fear as my whole world burned down. No one found out what started the fire. They labeled it as a freak accident and left it at that. After that dream ends, I wake to find myself in Gridlock. I can't help but wonder if its reality or if I'm still in a nightmare. Yet what really frightens me is that I don't even feel like crying. My life is nothing but bad joke. I get out of the bed and realize I woke up before my alarm. I got dressed in the remaining time it took for the clock to signal it was time for me to wake up. I turned off the alarm and walked to the door only to have it not open. All the doors in Gridlock were the same. Some had passwords, some had scanners, and some just opened when you stepped towards them like my door. Yet it didn't open. I banged on the door. Just then, Harry's voice spoke from over my head and I looked up to see him staring at me on a TV screen.

Harry:You won't be going anywhere. I've made it to where the door will only open from the outside. Not to mention I'll be able to watch you 24/7.

Me:Is there a reason for this?

I could hear a slight hint of anger in my voice but I pushed it back. I don't like being on a leash and he knows that.

Harry:That Ashley girl... I hear you like her.

He knows. His informants must have told him. The anger began to rise in me as he just smiled.

Harry:You're no longer on the mission. We will have someone else kill the girl.

Me:There's no need. I can-

Harry:Its clear that you can't do the job. You will stay in there until the matter has been taken care of.

Me:And who do you intend to send?

Harry:You know him very well.

The anger turned to fear. No. Not him. There was only one other person who did the same job as me. He had been a part of Gridlock before I even showed up. Weird thing is, after I came here, he acted like my older brother. He taught me everything. Devin Chambers. Code name Hex619. He was sent to a different Gridlock that Harry owned. I don't know how he came to be in this business but he was the closest thing I had to family. When I got older, he was sent somewhere else. I haven't seen him in years and I don't know what he looks like anymore. The only memory I have of him is before he left. His silver hair hanging down to his shoulders and just above his red eyes that seemed to smile at me on their own. He was wearing all black and he always wore a black cloak that he said was with him for as long as he could remember. He had taught me how to turn off my emotions so I just stood there as he hugged me and said bye. I just waved my hand and while he stepped into a limo and was driven to the airport. He never kept in touch but I didn't expect him to. Now he was coming back just to do my job? I needed to find a way out of here. If only there were any windows in my room. I thought about what I could do to get out of here. Just then Harry spoke again.

Harry:I also have a special treat for you.

Me:What is it?

Harry:You'll see in a few seconds.

I stood away from the door. Knowing Harry, he was going to send in a killer robot to see if I could still hold out on my own. The door then opened and what stood in front of me was far from what I expected. Why? And here so soon?