Essay that I had to write in class

*Context*

The essay is about this book called Bartleby where the guy (Bartleby) gets hired as a copier but eveytime his employer tells him to do something he says, "I would prefer not to." The teacher asked us to write about things that we would prefer not to do but do any way and explain why. This is what I wrote, enjoy.

I would prefer not to do a lot of things, for starters I would prefer not to go to school, I would prefer not to live at my house, I would prefer not to have to pay taxes (who wouldn't), I would prefer not to do a number of things that are an inconvenience for me, but I don't have much of a choice. Unless I was to become like Bartleby where I just refuse to do anything and everything that is asked of me until I die, I have to conform with society and live the life that has been given to me. I go to school so I can eventually get into a good college and live a good life with a husband and two kids, at least that is what my mother expects of me. Instead, I would prefer to travel the country on my own, writing books about the adventures I wasn't able to have when I was younger, realistic right? Of course it's not, instead I'll have to settle with a Creative Writing degree and just dream up more adventures that I'll never be able to fulfill. I would prefer to not live in my home with my mother who controls every aspect of my life; what I do, when I go out, who I go out with, even down to the littlest things such as not wearing red lipstick to homecoming because it looks 'trashy'. Whatever, her opinion. I would prefer to, once again, travel the country on my own, writing about the adventures I was never able to have when I was younger. That won't happen though, so I shall have to settle for a college out of state with a degree to help me imagine more adventures that I will never fulfill. I go to high school, I graduate after spending four years trapped inside classrooms for eight hours a day only to go to college where I spend four years (plus whatever many more it takes for a certain degrees) where I spend my days trapped inside classrooms to listen to lectures for hours of my life. Only to graduate and get stuck inside an office building where I spend the rest of my life trapped in four walls, eight hours a day, until I die or decide to say, "I would prefer not to," like Bartleby.