Story Time: Cross Walk

Walking.

Walking for what feels like forever.

My converse crush the small stones underneath my feet and my ear buds blast rock music in my ears. The sun partly shines in the corner of my eye causing me to squint with a scowl.

Damn morning sun. Why can't mornings be darker? Or the sun be lower?

The sun casts a bright glow flooding the terrain around me with it's warm golden rays streaking shadows across the ground.

Looking back up ahead I see undisturbed blue house. Not stirred awake yet by the morning sun's light.
I glance up at the sky, and through the glistening smolder of the sun, the moon peeks out in its familiar crescent figure.

I miss the night, how the moon casts soft beams of white light over the dewy grass. And how it is quiet and peaceful.

The area around me grows quiet for those dreaded seconds between songs on my phone. Where reality forces it's self onto you and you hear the birds chirp and the cars rush past.

Night time is so much better. The crickets sing quietly instead of birds shouting. The wind blows a chill in the air instead of carrying heat.

My pace quickens as the lights, in one of the upper bedrooms of the blue house, illuminate. Brushing past the busy onlookers I press on to reach my end goal.

I run across an empty cross walk even though the scarlet light shines bright. None of the nuisance automobiles are coming, so what is the point of wasting precious time?

My converse crunch the stones on the white painted pavement and my ear buds blast rock music in my ears. The sun not only blinding me, the sun not only casting it's golden rays across the Earth, the sun not only casting the shadow of an oncoming car... the sun is the last thing I see.