Chapter Nineteen

"You know when Michael's getting back?" I ask Caleb as we stroll into the cafeteria the next day.

"This weekend, I think," he replies as we buy our lunch and head to the table that Liam and Abigail are sat at.

"Great, he can be home in time to congratulate you on passing your biology test," I say through a smirk.

He pushes my arm as we sit opposite Abigail and Liam, who are talking quietly between each other. Liam scratches the back of his head while Abigail blushes from something he says.

Huh, maybe they did hit it off after all.

It's strange seeing Liam so flustered around a girl. He's known as the school's lead player, and has the ability to woo any girl he wants just by flashing his smile.

But with Abigail, he's different. He must really like her.

Caleb sends me a knowing look, and I grunt, "I hate you when you're right."

"So, you hate me all the time?"

"You being right is like a once in a lifetime occurrence, I have a better chance of being struck by lightning than you being right," I say, taking a bite out of my sandwich.

Liam turns to us and speaks before Caleb can respond, "Wanna go out for something to eat after school? I have practice until four, but I can do it after."

"Sorry, but no can do, tomorrow is the biology test, and this one's helping me study," Caleb replies, resting his arm over my shoulders.

Liam laughs at my unimpressed expression, and Abigail titters quietly beside him. He turns to her, and says, "Looks like it's just you and me."

She blushes, and then smiles to herself, nodding to Liam.

Damn, they're so cute together.

Fate has a crazy way of bringing people together.

---

After school, Caleb waits by his car for me. His eyes light up when he sees me, and when I make it to him, he says, "Did you remember your stuff?"

I nod, lifting up my duffel bag containing pyjamas, spare clothes and my essentials. We had agreed that I'd sleep at Caleb's house so that I can tutor him until late tonight.

Once we are sat in the car, it speeds down the road to Caleb's house, while he turns up the radio.

Heart On Fire by Indiana comes on, one of my favourites. He grunts something unintelligible and goes to change it, but I smack his hand away, scowling. "I love this song."

"Seriously?"

"Yes seriously. And if you change it I'll cut your hand off," I snap, leaning back in my seat.

He chuckles, leaving the song on.

By the time it ends, we're almost at his house. After driving down the curving gravel drive, he kills the engine near the front door.

We both climb out, Caleb doing it much more gracefully than me, and then jog up the steps to the door.

Caleb unlocks it with his key, and we step inside.

"What you did for Abigail yesterday was really nice, Lena," he says out of nowhere.

"Huh?"