Chapter Nine

Lena's POV

A strange chill fills the air today.

Not that it's any colder in temperature than it normally is for Fall in Oregon- I have a purple scarf wound around my neck and a navy raincoat on.

It's something else, like the air has shifted.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but everything suddenly feels off.

However, all feelings of apprehension are deserted when I climb off the bus and into the parking lot, noticing a broad figure leaning against a familiar white car.

Caleb lifts his hand and waves me over once catching sight of me.

When I make it to him, my hand clutching the strap of my bag over my shoulder, I smile.

"Hey, Lena," he greets, moving into standing position in front of me.

I grin wider, the sound of his voice reassuring me that the feeling I had gotten earlier was nothing to worry about.

Suddenly, Phoebe and her group saunter past, eyeing me aggressively when they see Caleb. Without thinking twice, she shoves me forward, hard.

As they quickly hurry off, giggling hysterically to each other, I stumble onto the hard ground. Thankfully, Caleb is there to catch me. I land safely in the warm grip of his soft, grey hoodie. His arms wrap around me, engulfing me in their comfort.

I look at him, face burning, but he just smiles, picking me up and steadying me out again.

But before I can thank him for catching me, I notice something on his arm. The sleeve on one of his arms had ridden up a bit while he was in the process of catching me, and is now exposed.

There is a long mark across his skin. Red and purple and painful-looking. And the closer I look, I realise that it isn't just one mark. It's two, no three, no four...

There must be more than a dozen of them on his right arm alone.

When he follows my gaze, his eyes land on his arm and he gruffly rolls down his sleeve. He doesn't say anything, he doesn't even look at me, knowing that what I saw was something I shouldn't have.

"Caleb, what was that on your arm?" I go to lift up his sleeve again, but he jerks it away, moving backwards.

"It's nothing."

I frown. I can feel my heart racing, warning me that the bad feeling is returning. In fact, my whole body seems to be screaming that something is wrong. But I don't want to push him, so I don't reply.

"It's nothing," he reassures, noticing my disbelieving expression, "just burnt myself cooking last night."

I don't believe it for a second. But I nod slowly, believably, trying to think of the actual reason behind those scars.

"We should get to class," he says, beginning to walk to the building.

I stay in place, too lost in deep consideration to move my feet.

"Hey, you coming?" he asks, breaking my train of thought.

I nod quickly, and catch up to him, keeping my eyes straight ahead while his green orbs burn into the side of my head.

---

As we make our way to biology, I stop at my locker, putting in the combination and swinging it open.

I begin to shovel my books into my bag while Caleb waits patiently beside, seemingly lost in deep thought.

"What are you thinking about?" I ask as I slam my locker shut.