Chapter Seventeen

Caleb and I leave the party soon after the game finishes.

Caleb hasn't said a word to me since I left the cupboard with Liam. He has his hand gripped around my wrist, and is towing me out of the house.

I am still slightly shocked from what Liam had said in the darkness of the cupboard. Liam Fitzgerald...wants to be my friend?

The abrupt bitterness of the cold makes me jump away from my thoughts. When we make it to the car, I get in while Caleb rounds the hood and jumps into the driver's seat.

He's frowning as he starts the car, making a U-turn and rolling down the long drive.

The night is extremely black, but there is a line of dark purple on the horizon above the trees, kind of like a painting. Stars twinkle in the sky, visible above the tops of trees.

"Caleb?"

He grunts in response.

"What's wrong?" I ask, not inching my gaze from him, while he stares straight ahead at the road.

"Nothing."

"I'm not stupid, I know something's wrong. You haven't spoken since Liam and I..."

And I suddenly realise exactly what's wrong. He's jealous.

Just like I was when he went into the cupboard with Phoebe. And despite everything, I find it quite amusing how we are both as bitter as each other about who we went into the cupboard with.

"Nothing happened in there," I state honestly.

"Then why'd you both come out smiling at each other?"

"It's not what it looked like," I say as he turns down my road. And I realise how awful it must have looked.

Caleb shakes his head quickly, disbelieving. "How am I supposed to believe that? He's just like the rest of them."

"Because I'm not like the rest of them. Because you believe me," I snap back, my abrupt tone shocking me.

He doesn't say anything, so I continue, "He asked me if he could start hanging out with us. Because according to him we're good people."

He doesn't say anything for a second, just tries to process what I said.

Once the car stops, I unbuckle my belt and swing the door open. He had no right to jump to those conclusions; who does you he think I am?

I would never do that Caleb.

Before he can say anything else, I push the door closed behind me and march to my front door, not looking back.

Then, I storm through my front door and slam it shut behind me.

---

The next morning, I stifle a groan as my back aches. I had been sleeping in an incredibly uncomfortable position.

When I look beneath me with groggy eyes, I realise I'm on the couch in the den.

Must've been too tired yesterday to trek up the stairs to my bed.

I check my watch, and jump up. I've slept through the bus.

Shit. Again?

I race upstairs and shower, then quickly change into my tights, black mini pencil skirt and tuck in my striped top. I put my Chuck Taylors onto my feet, run a brush through my hair and decide to put it into a ponytail.

Then, I sprint down the stairs with my bag over my shoulder, and shovel down a speedy breakfast bar, not having enough time to make toast or cereal.

I head outside, locking the door behind me. But when I turn around, I notice a familiar white BMW parked on the road in front of my house.

Caleb is leaning against it with some black sunglasses on, and a black and red flannel shirt with dark jeans.

When he sees me, he smiles. I slowly approach him, clutching the strap of my bag, and mumble, "What are you doing here?"

"I thought I'd give you a ride to school," he replies, taking off his sunglasses to expose his bright green eyes. The sun reflects off the blue tints like they're waves in the ocean.

"You don't need to do that," I answer, noticing the public bus pull around the corner.

I begin to head to the stop, but he grips my arm, pulling me to him. I end up being pressed to his body, which consequently sends a wave of heat through me.

But I don't have enough willpower to pull away.

I'm too frozen in place.

His hand still on my arm, he grins and says, "But I really do."

Eventually, his hand drops and I pull back. "Besides, I was being a dick last night."

I nod. "You were."

He throws me a look, but continues, "And I'm really sorry."

I think it over, and then quickly shake my head as if to shake it off altogether. "Lucky for you, I'm not one to hold a grudge."

He flashes his pristine white teeth, and opens the passenger door for me. I get in while he slides into the driver's seat, putting his sunglasses back on at the same time.

Once we're inside, and the car starts to drive down my road, Caleb says, "I do believe you, you know."

"Huh?"

"I believe you when you said that nothing happened in the cupboard. That Liam does wanna hang out with us."

The sun peaks through the clouds, making today slightly warmer than normal.

I angle my head to look at him, and smile, putting my hand on his thigh.

When we make it to school, we walk to the lockers. But as I open mine to collect my books, Liam approaches us.

I turn to him, and grin warmly. "Hey, Liam."

"Lena, Caleb," he greets.

I send Caleb a look to say something nice. He turns to Liam and grins his perfect grin. "Liam."

And what once was one, is now three.

We begin to stroll down the corridor, Liam on one side of me and Caleb on the other. Caleb is standing a little closer to me than Liam.

Liam and I laugh at a joke Caleb says, and my stomach lifts when thinking of how things are perfectly different. Seems Jace was right when he said things would be different this year.

When we make it to biology, Liam stops at the door, and says, "Thank you, both of you, for this. I don't expect you to accept me right away, but thanks anyway."

"No need to thank us," Caleb says, and I squeeze his hand gratefully.

"I gotta get to class, but can we meet at lunch?" he asks expectantly.

Both of us nod and smile genuinely. He leaves, waving behind him.

"I like him," Caleb says, as we watch him go.

I turn to him, raising an eyebrow.

He shrugs. "He laughs at my jokes."

I roll my eyes and nudge him into the class, where we take our seats.