i. | T W E L V E

N E R I S S A

"Come on, Ed!" Peter yelled as he continued his practice duel with his Brother, "Sword pointed up, like Oreius showed us!"

I stood silently on the side as I watched the Pevensie boys gallop around on their horses. They were admittedly getting quite good at this.

A smile tugs at the corners of my lip as I watched them laugh with each other, watching them enjoy themselves in each other's presence somehow reminding me of Jed and how we would always sneak out to train in the woods at night, just two kids hoping to escape reality for just a couple of hours.

A pang of guilt and sorrow courses through my chest at the thought that I was the one who made it out of the Witch's rule and not him. God, it should've been him.

"Peter, Edmund!"

Mr Beaver's calls pull me back to reality. The edge to his voice was unmistakable and I'm immediately on high alert.

I make my way down the hill after the boys, grabbing my weapons as I go.

"Woah, horsey!" Edmund yells as Philip rears when he comes to a stop.

"My name is Philip." The horse corrects, the slightest but if annoyance lacing his tone.

"Sorry." Edmund quickly apologises.

I move past the boys to stand in front of them, "Is there something wrong, Mr Beaver?"

The Beaver glances at me with worried-filled eyes, "Oh warrior, there is!" He lets out a shaky breath.

I noticed the boys exchange a worried glance and I too, felt worry filling my chest.

"What is it?" I asked.

"The Witch has demanded a meeting with Aslan." He informs, "She's headed here as we speak."

I curse under my breath at the news before taking off in the direction of the entrance.

There is already a crowd building around the area and I could hear Ginarrbrik's voice filling the camp as he announces the Witch's arrival.

"Jadis, the Queen if Narnia! Empress of the Lone Islands!"

I resist the urge to sock the dwarf in his face and took my place beside Oreius, where I had a clear view of the scene that was unfolding; The Witch follows closely behind Ginarrbrik, sitting on a litter that was carried by cyclops.

I roll my eyes, "Has she no legs to walk on her own?" I comment and hear Oreius snicker beside me.

Finally, the Witch is let down in front of Aslan's tent, where the great Lion stood.

"You have a traitor in your midst, Aslan." The Witch states, earning gasps from the crowd.

"His offence was not against you." The great Lion replies with confidence.

"Yes, but there is one who has betrayed me." Jadis says, her eyes landing on me, "But don't worry. She's not the reason why I'm here."

I straighten up, glaring back at her, refusing to give in to the lady who ruined my life.

"Perhaps you have forgotten the laws upon which Narnia was built on?"

"Do not cite the Deep Magic to me, Witch." Aslan growls, "I was there when it was written."

"Then you'll remember well that every traitor belongs to me." A sly smirks forms in the Witch's face, "His blood is my property."

"Try to take him then,"

I don't realise Peter is standing beside me until he speaks.

Jadis lets out a scoff, "Do you really think mere force will deny me my right...Little King?"

Peter tenses beside me, her attempts to get under his skin are clearly working as he reaches for his sword.

My hand immediately flies out to catch his arm, "Don't." I whisper, "That's exactly what she wants."

Peter glances at me before backing down with a huff, evidently not too happy and this only seems to please the Witch even more, making me think that maybe I should've let him.

"Aslan knows that unless I have blood as law demands, all of Narnia will be overturned and perished in fire and water. That boy!" She points a long finger at the dark-haired boy, "Will die on the Stone Table."

Edmund's eyes widened at the Witch's statement and so does those of his siblings who have gone pale and still at her words.

"Unless..." the Witch slowly approaches me until she's towering over me, "One is willing to sacrifice and take his place."

She reaches down, pulling the dagger strapped around my waist from its sheath and presses it against my jaw, "Ready to join your friend, dear?"

Oreius and Peter immediately grab their swords, ready to attack.

"Stop." I order, making the two pause in their tracks, "Stand down, boys."

I could feel the gazes of the two against the back of my head, staring at me as if I've gone mad.

The area beneath the blade stings and I could feel the blood starting to trickle down my neck.

"Why don't we level the playing field?" I start, fully aware of the eyes that are now on me, "Why don't you prove your worth and fight me instead of resorting to such despicable methods to impose your power on those who have none."

I take a step forward, ignoring the pain from the blade that digs deeper into my flesh, "You're no Queen." I scoff, "You're nothing more than a fraud."

"How dare you!" The Witch cries.

I study her movements, making my move as soon as she starts to raise the dagger over her head. With a few swift moves, I have regained control of my blade, pressing it to her throat.

The Witch's army has their arrows aimed at me, but their Queen's life was now in my hands. One quick cut and this would all be over. I might go down with her, but it'll be worth it.

"Enough!" Aslan roars, the only thing keeping me from ending her right here and now, "Lower the blade, warrior."

I hesitate for a moment, this could all end right here.

"Nerissa." Aslan calls warningly.

I let out a grunt in annoyance, it almost physically pains me to let this opportunity slip, but I let it anyway. I sheath my dagger against my better judgment and the Witch's lips curl up into a smile. Clenching my fist, I try my best not to give in to the temptation to smack it off her face.

"I shall talk with you alone." The almighty Lion addresses the Witch.

Jadis follows Aslan into his tent, our glares never breaking until she disappears into the tent.

Clenching and unclenching my fist repeated at my side, I try to my to push down the anger that has built up inside me.

"You're bleeding." Peter places a hand gently on my shoulder, which I shrug off.

"I'm fine."