i. | T H R E E

N E R I S S A

I make my way through the woods, letting my fingers brush against the trees as I walked by them.

The sun was already starting to shine down upon Narnia. It was peaceful here in the woods with not a soul in sight,  just the way I preferred it to be.

I savour the last couple of moments of the walk back to the dreaded castle, taking the longer route on purpose. But it still felt far too soon before I find myself slipping back in through the hidden door into the castle.

I make my way across the hallway, trying to make as little noise as possible.

"Hold." The Witch's voice echos through the walls, "Where have you been?"

"I've been out searching, my Queen." I reply, twirling around the face her, "Unfortunately, the humans are nowhere to be found."

She hums thoughtfully as she narrowed her eyes at me, "You told Maugrim I asked for him?"

"That's what I was told, your Highness. I was merely conveying a message." I shrugged.

"Well, who was the one who told you to convey this message?" She questions.

"One of the Minotaurs, I think. Or maybe it was one of the dwarfs, I can't quite remember." I lied.

The Witch takes a step towards me and glares down at me.

"Let this be a warning to you, Archer." She hisses, "If I find out you're betraying me, I'll have your head."

"Understood, my Queen." I reply, offering her a sloppy bow.

I could see her face in my peripheral vision, red with anger as I strolled off before she had even allowed me to.

I duck behind a pillar, peeking out to make sure the Witch was gone before sneaking back down the hallway and down the stairs that led to the dungeons.

Mr Tumnus straightens up, immediately on high alert as soon as hears me approaching them.

"It's just me." I announced, allowing the faun to finally relax.

Mr Tumnus was wide awake, too afraid to even fall asleep, although the bags under his eyes were evidence that he was exhausted. The Pevensie boy on the other hand- was fast asleep, not even aware of my presence.

I reach over, tapping the boy lightly on the shoulder.

"Edmund." I called, but still, he laid sound asleep. "Edmund." I called a little louder.

This time, the boy jerks awake, scrambling to the other end of his cell, as far as he could possible get away from me.

"I'm not here to hurt you, Edmund Pevensie." I say.

"You're lying! You're one of them!" He yells.

I quickly shushed him, "Not too loud, the Guards will hear you."

"She's telling the truth, Edmund." Mr Tumnus jumps to my aid, "You can trust her."

I offer Mr Tumnus a thankful nod, before turning back to Edmund, who had calmed down significantly but was still wary of me.