Chapter 13 - I'm Not Jealous

Adrien P.O.V.

Just as Chloe finished, Marinette's face went pale, her eyes glassy and watery as her lips quivered. She obviously wanted to cry, which made my heart ache terribly. I turned to Chloe, who was grinning slyly, and glared at her. 

Sure Marinette didn't tell anyone she was a princess, but maybe she had a reason. 

Right when I was about to reach over and hug her, Marinette stood up and ran out of the room. Her cries echoed through the halls as they slowly faded away. My heart ached even more, creating a worse and worse feeling in my chest. How could Chloe say that? Sure she may be rude sometimes, but this was just too far.

"There she goes. She must be too embarrassed, huh, Adrikins?" Chloe asked, only making me angrier. What was her deal? Doesn't she know what she's doing is wrong?

"Honestly, Chloe, just shut it. Marinette is hurt because of you, and you don't even care. Do you have any idea what she's going through? No? Then don't act like you do," I said, fighting back a snarl. She looked at me in shock. 

"B-But Adrien, she lied to you. She lied to all of us."

"Chloe, that's where your wrong. Marinette only found out her true identity yesterday," Marinette's father, Tom, corrected, his tone hinting annoyance and anger. Chloe was about to speak again, but Tom cut her off immediately. "Also, don't forget you're talking to the rulers of an empire right now, so don't think your father, the mayor of a small city could do anything. You hurt our daughter, and to that we will have no hesitation. Understand?"

Chloe looked down guiltily and nodded her head. I sighed a deep breath of relief, then got up and ran. I ran all over the palace, looking for Marinette. After about five minutes, I found two glass doors slightly ajar, so I went to them. They were doors to a garden from what I could see, maybe a rose garden? The sun had set, so it was dim outside. 

Then, I saw movement by a bench. Wait. Was that Marinette? I stepped outside and into the cold, about to call for her when I saw another boy walk to her. He was wearing a servant's suit, and seemed to be around my age.

"Marinette?" The boy asked. Mari looked up at him, her face splotchy and red.

"Hi, Ethan," She replied. Ethan then did something I didn't like. He sat next to her and cradled her lovingly. Even the thought of it made my stomach churn, which confused me.

You're in love with someone else, remember? Your heart belongs to Ladybug, no one else, I thought to myself as I watched Ethan take his coat off and give it to Mari. She was leaning on him or the next minute or so, until I couldn't bear it anymore.

"Marinette? Is that you?" I called out, trying to seem as innocent as possible. The two turned their heads to my direction. Their faces visibly turned red as they stood up, making my stomach churn even more.

"Y-Yeah, it's m-me," She answered, and I took that as an invitation to walk over to her. As I got a closer look at Ethan, I saw he had brown hair, brown eyes, freckles, and he was about as tall as me.

"What happened in there? Are you okay?" I asked and hugged her, somthing I'd been wanting to do ever since I saw her at the top of the staircase. She froze, but then slowly returned it. We stood there like that for who knows how long.

"Ahem."

Marinette released me, and we looked at Ethan. He had an annoyed look on his face and his nose was red. I let out a small chuckle, making Mari and him look at me.

"What's so funny, Agreste?" Ethan asked, crossing his arms. I cleared my throat and looked at the ground.

"Nothing, I'm sorry. Anyway, Mari, ready to go inside?"

Marinette looked at the ground, then Ethan. He gave her a small nod, to which Marinette then looked at me. 

"Alright, I'll go. Ethan, would you care to join us?" I froze as Marinette asked Ethan to come. What? Why is he coming? Wait, what even is this feeling? I'm not jealous, am I? No of course not. I mean, why should I? I don't like Marinette that way, she's...she's just a friend.

"A-Are you s-sure, Mari?" He asked, and I got even angrier with him. Only I get to call her that, not some guy she met yesterday.

Oh no, the feeling's back.

"I'm sorry, but did you just call her Mari?" I asked, a small growl escaping my lips. Ethan looked at me, a smug expression etching his features.

"Um, yeah. Got a problem with that?"

"I don't know. I'm just saying, I'm usually the only one who calls her that."

"So? It's not like she's your girlfriend or anything. I can call her whatever I want."

"You're just saying that because your jealous of how close Marinette and I are."

"Close? Please, I didn't see you rushing out here to comfort her. That was me. If anything, she doesn't deserve you."

"What are you talking about? I just had a hard time finding her, that's all. Plus, it's not like I'd only met her yesterday."

"Even if you had, you two aren't even dating, so why does it matter?"

"What if I did want to date her, huh?" I asked, then quickly regretted it. Oh no, what did I just do? Marinette is right next to me, she probably heard it! Wait, why did I say that in the first place? And why do I have to keep reminding myself that I'm in love with someone else?

"U-Um, w-what did y-you just say, A-Adrien?" Marinette whispered. I opened my mouth to say something, but found nothing. Why had I said it? Did I really want to date her?

"Speak, Agreste," Ethan hissed. I gulped and felt heat rise to my cheeks. I honestly didn't know what to say. Had I meant it? Did I not feel what I thought I did about Ladybug?

"I-I don't know..." I replied truthfully. 

"Well then, let's go, Mari. Agreste obviously needs some time to think about what he said," Ethan said, grabbing Marinette's wrist. He dragged her away from me and into the palace, only making my heart yearn for her even more.

(A/N That was quick. I really did't think I'd be writing another chapter so soon. Well, I hope you liked it, cause there's more to come! Buh-bye, kittens. Love ya!)

-Lennie