Elsa's Tips on Becoming a Better Author

-Needle In a Haystack-

I have noticed since I have joined Wattpad that finding a good story is like finding a needle in a haystack (hence the name of this chapter), So I have decided to try and make it less like finding a needle in a haystack and more like finding a slightly larger needle in a haystack. Don't get me wrong, there a PLENTY of great stories out there, you probably have written a few, but I think there is always room for improvment.

I haven't written much on this site, but I have been writing for a long, long time, I assure you. Since I was four years old actually. Writing was a big part of my childhood, along with reading, which leads me into my first tip for all of you: Read, read, READ! It's in every 'How to Write' book you'll ever read, most of you will probably skim over that tip, but please, I beg you, read!

I have read a few 'How to Write Better' books myself, and most of them forget to include exactly why reading is so important. Reading is so important to writers because it plays a key part in finding you're writing style. And I'm not talking about what genre you like to write about, I'm talking about the way you write things. If JK Rowling wrote a historical fiction novel, would you be able to tell it was her without knowing? I would. That's what you want to develop, your own unique style. Also, it helps with character development issues you might be having.

Though this all is true, there is a fine line between learning from other authors, and COPYING other authors. Please do not take another fictional story line or character from another book and put it in your story! (Unless your writing a fan fiction, of course).

So now with these teensy tiny little tid bits of knowledge, please comment below what tips you want next, and read my story 'Rabbit Hole' to get a taste of my writing!

LOL (lot's of love) Elsa