Chapter 12

Stop what your doing and please like me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/#!/EmmyRebeccaOnWattpad

      I woke to the sound of mockingjays singing a four note tune throughout the arena. It was a pretty melody and reminded me of hunting in the woods with my father. He taught me about mockingjays, Capital muttations.

     Their a mix between mockingbirds and Capital mutations called Jabberjays. Jabberjays were created in the Capital labs during the uprising. They were designed to spy on the districts and recorded conversations back to the Capital. Jabberjays matted with Mockingbirds and mockingjays were created.

     When I hunted in the woods with my father he would whistle to them and they would sing back. They remembered his tunes. I had no doubt that someone in the arena was singing to them because they replayed the same tune over again.

     I could feel Gale start to stir beside me.

       "Good morning, Catnip," he greeted me. But we both knew it was not good moring, not when you woke up here.

       "What are you looking at?" he asked, while I was lost in thought.

       "Not looking, listening," I responded.

       "Listening to what?" he asked.

       "Mockingjays," I replied.

     Someone was clearly singing to them because they had all broken out into a tune that was unfamiliar. They were all in sync.

        "Hunting day?" I asked.

      He nodded.

        "Hunting day," he said in agreement.

      I grabbed the bow and he pulled out our only knife and quickly packed everything up and away.

      I slung the backpack over my shoulder and held my bow up steady.

        "Let's check the snares first," he suggested.

      I nodded.

        "Good idea," I agreed.

      It wasn't far from where the previous snares were set where I saw something more than snares in the distance. A human. A tribute.

      I nudged Gale and pointed at the figure in the distance. He looked and then turned to face me. He touched his index finger to his lips, signaling for me to be quiet.

      I obeyed and followed him as we headed in the direction of the figure, i didn't lower my bow. Gale and I were good at being quiet throughout the woods. Back home we used this technique so we didn't scare away the game.

      Once we got close enough, I could see the tribute. I recognised him as the boy from District 6 and he seemed to be around our age. He was inspecting Gale's snares with a dead rabbit attached to it. He seeed to know what he was doing as he carefully detached the rabbit from the rope.

      Before he could run off Gale ran at him and yelled, "Thief!"

      The boy dropped the rabbit and held his hands up in surrender. He looked shocked when he saw the two of us. He must have really thought he was alone. I mean it seemed as if he could drop dead of a heart attack any minute. 

     I load my bow and aim it at the boy so he wouldn't get any ideas to take off. This seemed to scare him even more.

       "Please! Don't shoot! I've seen you in the training center and I know how you can handle that bow. They call you The Girl On Fire, right?' he stated, and gulped very loud. "I didn't realise they were yours. I promise I won't steal from you. We just needed food," he pleaded.

       "We?" Gale interrogated.

       "Yes my friend and I," he explained.

       "Who's your friend?" I joined in.