Tribute Misconceptions - Hunger Games

For being my lovely and helping editor! Thanks again!

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stand there, motionless. Shocked by the two words that Effie Trinket had called out to the crowd of District Twelve. Primrose Everdeen.

It couldn't happen. There was only one slip of paper with that name on it. How could it have been chosen out of all the districts' hundreds, out of my twenty, out of Gale's forty two? The odds have not been in my favor.

Still frozen by her name, my gaze follows to the stage where Efflie stands. I see Prim walking up the steps to the stage. I see her blouse has been untucked from the back of her skirt just like a duck. That snaps me back into reality.

"Prim!" I call out.

I start to run to her. I don't need to push through the crowd because everyone had moved aside for me to pass through. I don't make it far before I am blocked by peacekeepers. I fight against them trying to push through. 

"No!" I scream.

They restrain me back as I keep up the fight.

"No!" I say again.

With no luck of passing them I know I can only do one thing to save my little sister.

"I volunteer!" I yell to Effie. "I volunteer as tribute," I clarify.

The peacekeepers have stopped fighting me but still stand in my path, looking up to the stage. Effie looks confused and stumbles her words. She has debating with herself weather the rules allow a volunteer after the name has been chosen. Or in this district. The debate is resolved by the mumbles of the crowd telling her to allow it and Haymitch and the mayor, explaining to her my request is simple and allowed. So I a called to the stage as the District Twelve, female tribute participating in the 74th annual Hunger Games.

On my way to the stage, something grabs my leg. I look down to see Prim. She has wrapped her body around me leg and wont let go.

"Prim let go."

She does'nt obey me.

"Let go!"

I say in a harsh tone only because it's harder to hold back tears.

I try to untangle her from me but she only ends up jumping on my back once she lets go of my leg. I was about to push her off when I felt her weight being lifted. The first thing I think is peacekeepers have taken her away. Then I look to see Gale hauling her away.

"Up you go, Catnip," he said to me, walking away with Prim.

That was his nickname for me and that made it harder to fight the tears. But I wasn't going to let anyone see me cry. Not here.

As I step up to the stage next to Effie, I see Gale handing Prim to my mother, who is also trying to hold back tears, without success. Prim is kicking and shouting my name.

"What is your name, dear?" Effie says in a bright tone.

"Katniss Evderdeen," I reply..

"I bet my buttons that was your sister. You couldn't let her have all the fame and glory, now could you?"

I stay silent and stare out into the crowd.

"Now it is time to pick our male tribute."

I see many parents holding hands, hugging one another and squeezing their eyes shut, hoping their child does not get picked.

Effie carefully pick a slip of paper from the boy's reaping bowl, unfolds it and calls out the name.

"Peeta Mellark."

Oh no not him. Not the boy with the bread.

I see him come out from the crowd. His blond, sandy hair has been sleeked back and he's wearing an outfit that clean and not covered in flour.

He walks towards the stage onto before being stopped by a holler from the crowd.

"I volenteer as tribute!" I hear from the crowd.

I move my head around to try and see who said that.

Then I see the person.

Gale.