Chapter 2

"Alright! That's the spirit!" I hear Effie announce as she points to Gale.

I look at Peeta. He's as shocked as I am.

"Come on up young man!" she says with too much enthusiasm for me.

Effie shoo's Peeta off the stage and motions Gale to come forth.

They both obey as Peeta goes back in line with to his place and Gale takes his new place, beside me.

"Now, what is your name?" Effie questioned into the microphone.

"Gale Hawthrone," he said to her.

"Oh, so your not a brother of Mr. Mellark over there?" she said, sounding confused.

"No. I have never even talked to him before," Gale explained, sounding annoyed.

"Well I guess you just wanted to join in on The Games then?" she asked.

I gave Gale a glare. I don't want him here. I don't him to come into The Games. He has his family to care for and mine at that. I don't want him to die. So I will have to die for him.

"That's right," he said looking back at me. Even though we both know that wasn't true.

We were told to shake hands before we were escorted my Peacekeepers to the justice building to say our goodbyes.

The first visitors to arrive in my room was my mother and Prim. At the sight of me, Prim jumped right onto my lap, wrapped her arms around my neck and lays her head on my shoulder, just like she did as a toddler.

My mother sits beside me and wraps her arms around us. We sit in silence for a few minutes before I start telling them things to remember, since I will not be here o provide for them.

I tell them that Prim is not to take any tesserae. I tell them that if their careful the can get by, by selling Prim's goat milk and cheese.

I wanted to tell them that Gale would be there to give them meat every time he gets game, but I can't. He wont be here. He will be with me. So instead remind them to look out for Gale's family as well.

Once I'm finished explaining other things too, I turn to my mother and grip her arm.

"Listen to me. Are you listening to me?"

She nods.

"You can't leave again." I say.

She looks to the floor.

"I know. I won't. I couldn't help what-"

"Well you have to help this time. You can't clock out and leave Prim on her own. There's no me to keep you both alive. I doesn't matter what happens. Whatever you see on the screen. You have to promise you'll fight through it!" I shouted, feeling all the anger I had wanted to let out on her.

"I was ill. I could have treated myself if I'd had the medicine I have now." she explained.

"Then take it. And take care of her!" I say.

Prim reassures me everything will be alright and tries to get me to promise her that I will win for her. She tell me I'm fast and skilled and that I have to try. That I can do it. The only thing is, Gale is too. But i can't kill him! And I can't let him get killed.

I tell her I will try but I can't promise anything. Not with Gale in The Games as well.

A Peacekeeper come in and tell them their time is up. We say our goodbyes and hug each other tight. Then im left alone again. But not for long. Madge walks into the room.

She wishes me luck and hands me a pin. It's golden and has a mockingjay spreading it's wings on it.

I thank her and tell her I will use it as my token, before she leaves.

Then the baker comes in. This is unexpected. I suppose he thanked Gale for taking Peeta's spot.

He hands me a paper bag. I open it to see cookies inside. I thank him and he tells me that he will make sure Prim is fed. I thank him again. Then the door opens one last time.

On the other side of it I see Peeta.