YTTD - Chapter 1

"World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war. It lasted from 1939 to 1945, though some related conflicts in Asia began before 1939. It involved the vast majority of the world's nations-including all of the great powers-eventually forming two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most widespread war in history, and directly involved more than 100 million people, from more than-"

I let out a bored huff as I tried to keep my eyes from shutting close and fall asleep in the middle of history class. 

Mr. Vance, who sounds like he has a relatively 'cool' name, is actually the opposite of the definition. He was boring, quite frankly. His voice was even boring. Always drawling slowly and painfully. 

That is why I always hated history since freshman year. You would think that when school just started, there would be some kind of excitement. But no, our teachers' definition of fun is jumping straight to the boring stuff. 

The worse thing is that this is my second day in senior year, and I already wanted to go back home. 

Mr. Vance was leaning on the desk and read from a book with his drawling, monotone voice. His bald head with a few hair strands here and there poking up. He had a pencil behind his right ear, which always annoyed me. Wearing some really ugly faded jeans, with a terrible looking striped shirt tucked in his pants, not doing a very good job hiding his round stomach.

    "Didn't we like, learn this in junior high?" Grace groaned quietly beside me and put her head on the desk. I shrugged my shoulders, too bored to even reply.

I always wondered where they found the teachers and how they were raised. 

I popped my left elbow on the desk, leaning my face against the palm of my hand and began to doodle in my notebook absently. 

    "Miss Miller!" A voice suddenly snapped as my body jumped up and I dropped the pencil on the table. Several students began to snicker, my face heating up. 

    "Yes Mr. Vance?" I replied sheepishly. He gave me a disapproving look but didn't make any more comments about my obvious lack of attention to his class. 

    "Can you mention three of the allied leaders during the Second world war?" He asked me.

My brain went blank for a few moments as I tried to remember some of the stuff I learned during Junior high.

    "Uh- I- uh that Joe guy?" I trailed off in a question, not coming up with a name. I bit my lip and looked up at Mr. Vance.

He looked at me with a small glare and shook his head slightly. "Joseph Stalin," he corrected.

    "Yeah him," I agreed quickly.

    "Oh and Franklin!" I snapped my fingers.

    "Franklin D. Roosevelt." Mr. Vance once again corrected and I blushed, nodding. "Try to keep up more next time, Miss Miller." He scolded me before returning to the lesson.

I heard a familiar snicker to my right, and I whipped my head around to glare at Grace. She bit her lip to stop it, but a smile was still tugging at her lips. I made an irritating sound at the back of my throat, making her shrug innocently at me.

**

    "Traitor." I spat the moment she met up with me outside the classroom. Grace rolled her eyes, with the smile that never seems to leave her face.

    "Oh calm down will you? It was funny!" She defended herself.

I huffed and hugged my books closer to my chest. "Funny? It was humiliating!"