Act Six, Scene Three

Kayleigh POV

The last day; Jayden. The hardest for sure. The poor kid. He must feel the most pressure out of anyone.

"Jayden, could you come with me please?"

"Yeah... is there something you need?"

"Sort of. Come along please."

Jayden stands there a little bit, glancing around, debating whether or not he should follow me or not. Eventually his curiosity wins and he steps toward me. "Okay."

I lead him silently to the third floor, and push open the door to the ballroom. Jayden seems hesitant to follow me, visibly flinching when he walks in the room. I blink and sit down criss-cross on the floor. Jayden stares at me. I pat the space on the floor next to me. He sits down reluctantly.

"Jayden, is there something about this room that unsettles you?" I ask.

"Yes." he replies after a moment.

"What is it?"

"The painting on the wall."

"The painting of Maman and me?"

"Yeah."

"How so?"

"It hurts."

"What do you mean by that?"

"It hurts me because you look so happy. It's just you and Maman in your own world. It hurts because... because I took that away. You aren't happy anymore because of me. Because I'm a disappointment and a failure." He looks down. "Because it's my fault that you aren't happy."

"Jayden..."

"Because I hurt you-"

"No. Stop. You're wrong. I was never truly happy since I was a little girl, Jayden. You were nothing to do with my depression. You are not a disappointment or a failure. You're young and you're learning about the world and how cruel it can be. Just work hard, work hard and you'll be so much better than me. Be happy, Jayden. Swear it. Swear you'll try to be happy, for yourself, for your family, for me. Please. Don't let my expectations restrain you, don't let my history bind you. You are free to do whatever you wish and I know you will succeed in anything you try to do."

"I-I... I swear..."

"Good." I smile slightly. 

"..."

"Now, Jayden. You saw all the rooms, correct?"

He nods.

"The white door room. That is my personal research room, dedicated to my work. I hope you understand that I do not collect human bodies for fun."

He nods again, face paling.

"I'm sorry you had to see that. I'm sorry you saw any of the damaging things hidden in my rooms."

"I'm sorry for snooping."

"No, it's normal to be curious. But there is something important I should tell you. Those rooms, you can be in them. Just you. They are yours while I am away, alright? Do whatever you want to them; you can even ignore them if you want, but they're yours as of tomorrow."

"..."

"It may be odd, but there are some hidden things in there. I hope you are successful in unraveling much of my past."

"... thank you."

"No. Thank you. Take care of Maman and your brothers while I'm gone, okay?"

"Okay."

"Then let's just sit in here a bit and admire the painting until you understand that nothing is your fault."