Act Three, Scene One

Third Person POV

Kayleigh enters the house quietly, her footsteps soft and muted by the carpeted floor. However, her wife Amélia hears her and approaches the older woman with an unusually serious face.

"Kayleigh." Amélia says softly, sadness evident in her blue eyes. "I need to speak with you."

"Can it wait?" The dark haired woman asks, eyes half closed as she slips her shoes off. 

"Kayleigh."

The seriousness in Amélia's tone causes Kayleigh to pause, setting her shoes over to the side of the door where she could access them easily the next morning.

"Yes?"

Amélia holds up a razor blade. It has blood dried on the edge of it. Kayleigh's face pales visibly, and she reaches out to take it. As she does, her sleeve rides up, revealing dozens of raised scars created by a blade similar to the one she holds in her hand now.

"Where did you find this?" Kayleigh asks quietly.

"In Jayden's bathroom, in the trash can."

"... did you tell him?"

"I did."

"And?"

"He said it was his."

"And...?"

"And nothing."

"..." Kayleigh drops her hand to her side. "So what do you want me to do about it?"

"Surely you know why he did it."

"...maybe"

"So talk to him. You're his mother."

"..." The dark haired woman sighs. 

~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|~|\|

"Jayden?"

The boy doesn't stir, but he is instantly awake at the sound of his mother's voice.

"I need to talk to you."

"..."

"Can you sit up for me please?"

He obeys her silently.

"Amélia found something in your trashcan today. Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

"..."

"Jayden."

"... I'm sorry..."

"That's not what I'm looking for."

"I'm sorry... Mother...?"

"No, you don't understand."

Kayleigh sits down beside him and hesitantly puts her arm around his shoulders. 

"I'm sorry." The woman says.

"..." Jayden doesn't reply, his only reaction being a few tears falling down his face.

"Jayden..."

"I'm sorry M-Mum... I'm such a failure... I can't meet any of your expectations... I'm a bad kid, I'm sorry... I can only cause troubles... I-"

"Jayden, you aren't a failure. You're learning. But please never hurt yourself again."

"..."

"I know it seems like that's the only thing you can do, but it isn't."

Kayleigh takes Jayden's hand and let's it touch the skin of her arm.

"There are other ways, I promise." She says. "Don't do this."

Jayden feels like crying. He didn't know his mother had those scars buried deep in her wrists.

"I hope you don't do it again."

Kayleigh stands and hesitantly kisses Jayden's forehead. "Goodnight Jayden. "

"..."

He sits and watches her go.