ʟii : Uber

I stirred, the realisation that I'd actually fallen asleep wakes up my brain.

I feel stiff and heavy from the lack of sleep. Two hours was all I got after we returned from the hospital, I saw when I checked my phone display. It's currently 7:43am.

I'm glad I woke up early. What if Connor had found me? I shook the horrible thoughts away.

Colby. I need to see him.

Calling his number, I clear my voice not wanting to sound half asleep. When he answers, I realised I wouldn't have been the only one.

"Did I wake you? Shit, I'm so sorry!" I cringe at myself. Again, Ella? Really? I must start using my brain more before making spontaneous phone calls at mutually disregarded hours.

"No, honestly, it's fine," he says. I'm glad to not sense any annoyance in his voice.

"I swear it won't become a habit," I chuckle but stop myself, remembering why I called. "Somethings wrong," my tone is completely different and very quiet. It's weird being so open to someone about Connor. I've not encountered anyone that could understand as well as Colby did. That alone made me feel supported and even a little bit safer.

"Is it about Connor?" He questions, worried.

"Uh yeah. Can I come to yours to talk?" I propose.

"Of course. Would you like me to come get you?" He offers, much too kindly.

I can't accept his offer. I'd already woken him up twice in the past five hours. That would be greedy of me.

"No but thanks, I can Uber," I tell him.

"You sure?"

"Yes, I'll be fine," I convince Colby.

"Alright, take care. I'll see you in twenty minutes," he confirms before hanging up.

I pull on a new change of clothes, not fussing as to if the items match. Light wash jean shorts, a dark grey top, a black zip-up hoodie and a pair of red converse is what I ended up dressed in.

I signal for an Uber on the app to pick me up before stuffing my phone into my shorts' pocket.

I pass a sleeping Jasmine in the lounge and decide to inform her over text of my whereabouts once I get to Colby's. Waking her wouldn't be a good idea.

I left, locating my Uber out on the main road. Hopping in, I greet the driver and he pulls away from the curb, beginning the route.

"Jesus, stay in your lane, mate!" The driver exclaims and I glance up to find a maroon car swerve dangerously close to the side of the car I was sitting on. We were about two minutes into the drive.

We continue to drive forward in a straight line while the over car maintains a frightfully close proximity. I glare into the window, locking eyes with the cars driver.

No.