xxxvi : For good

It's a new day and I've decided that I need to see Colby for the last time. I still have his hoodie so I figured returning it sooner rather than later would allow me to start removing him from my cluttered and damaged mind. 

We are meeting outside Barkley's cafe at 11am. I exit my apartment with his black hoodie draped neatly over my arm. I don't really know what I'm going to say to him but I have to bring Lauren up at some point. I need to know the truth. I need to hear it from him.

The closer I get to Barkley's, the less of an idea I have of what I'm going to say to Colby. Maybe I should just give him his hoodie and go. 

As I cross the final street, I see him. He looks straight back at me and waves from the distance. I return his wave and approach him speedily.

Let's get this over with.

"Hey, Colby" I greet him. He's wearing a plain forest-green shirt with ripped black skinny jeans.

"Ella," he smiles down at me and sees the hoodie in my arms.

"Here," I offer it to him, "sorry I didn't return it sooner"

He shakes his head, "Don't worry about it"

"Well, I've got to-" I begin, but Colby cuts me off, realising I'm attempting to escape.

"I'll buy you something to eat" He gestures innocently to the door of the cafe.

I almost decline his offer, but this is the least I can do, considering I'm about to push him off my radar for good.

"Alright," I agree, "but I'm paying"

My stern tone causes him to nod without argument and I feel a little bad as I follow him inside. However, I'd feel worse if he payed, only for me to never see him again.

We approach the counter and I order myself a blueberry muffin, as much as I want the vanilla cake again, I decide to try something else. Colby gets the vanilla cake, I pay, and we sit down in without a word. I can tell he knows something's up. Well, I think he's always had his suspicions with me. I wish I had a chance to be straight with him but I no longer had trust in him.

Deciding it would be best if I got right to the point, I initiated conversation as we started eating. "I went to Lauren's place yesterday"

Colby stopped chewing and looked up from his slice of cake. "What did she say?"

"You have a girlfriend, Colby. And you kissed me. Twice!"

He looks defeated when I raised my voice.

"It's not-" 

"Just admit it" I cut him off. I just want to hear it and leave.

He looks torn and conflicted, not able to piece his next sentence together. I wished it wasn't true, but his expression tells all. Colby and Lauren are a thing. She was right.

I sigh in frustration and roll my sleeves up as I stand. Taking my unfinished muffin with me, I charge out of the cafe.

"Ella" I hear him call from behind me but I resist the strong urge to turn around.

"Goodbye, Colby"