xx : Moonlight

"Man, that's cool" Colby whispers.

We enter the room together. There's a feature window covering the opposing wall, well, it wasn't much of a window because nearly all the glass had been smashed out of its frames. The moonlight streaming into the room hit every broken shard on the wooden floor, causing even the roof to light up. It was a soft light, just enough needed to see around the room. Apart from the glass, the room is bare. No furniture is here.

"This is beautiful" I comment after surveying the space.

"Agreed" says Colby, staring up at the ceiling.

I kick the pieces of glass under my feet. Bending down, I retrieve a piece. It's sharp edges make it look like it's shaped as an icicle. I admire how the light reflects off it when I rotated it carefully in my hands. Colby collides into me all of a sudden and I drop it on the floor as I completely lose my balance.

"Ahhh!" I almost scream. My back hits the floor and I hear the crunch of glass beneath me. I immediately struggle, trying to get back on my feet, but I can't. Colby was on top of me.

"Shit, I'm so sorry," he says but I'm looking at sideways at where his hand had made hard contact with the floor to avoid completely squishing me. I watch as he pulls his hand slowly away from the ground. He hisses in pain. It's then that I see multiple shards of glass imbedded in his palm. I took to my left and the same has happened to his other hand.

Colby stands up and begins blowing on his hand in hopes of removing the glass.

I sit up cautiously and manage to stand without either of my hands touching the floor by shifting my feet underneath me.

"This really hurts," Colby admits, tearing his eyes away from his hands"

There's a lot of blood but it isn't bleeding fast. It doesn't faze me.

"I'm so damn clumsy. I'm so sorry, Ella, I didn't-"

"Colby, it's okay" I reassure him, placing my hands under his to hold them up.

"Can I remove the big bits?" I ask and he hesitates before nodding.

"Look away," I instruct him.

I hold his palm closer to my face before using my other hand to gently pluck out various pieces. Colby's eyes are screwed shut.

"I'm sorry" I say quietly.

"I'm okay, keep going" he says through his cringing expression.

I pull one more piece of of his right hand, before moving to his left one.

This one is a lot worse. There's a couple of large pieces wedged into the bottom of his palm. Colby groans loudly when I wiggle them out. Luckily, they both come out in one piece.

"You did it" I announce, holding both of his hands up now.

He turns his head toward me and then to his hands. Most of the glass is gone, but there are likely to be more pieces still stuck in his hands.

"I can get the rest out at home. I need tweezers and more light" I inform Colby.

"Thank you, Ella" he hugs me, which takes me by surprise at first, but I hug him back. It's long, comforting and perfect.