Chapter 24

I woke in his arms. Like I had in the past, I was engulfed in those toned arms I fell in love with, one of his shirts caressing my torso. The shirt was soft, almost as soft as his skin. The under part of his forearm felt like a baby's and his back felt like a dream. He was sprawled across me, his face in the crook of my neck, inhaling both his and my scent. His arm was wrapped around my waist, keeping me as close as possible to him. He was bare, other than plaid pajama pants on his lower half, covered by the white sheet over both of us.

        We fell asleep almost exactly like that. Kissing, and staring, as if it was the first time we'd ever seen each other. It felt that way. Because everything was so different now, it was like it was the first time we had ever met. Nothing felt the same. Except for our touch. The same electricity shot through me with a single brush of a fingertip or peck on the lips. It wasn't much, but it still had the same effect.

        He lifted his head to sleepily look me in the eyes. They were so blue. I'd never forget how blue they looked when he was tired. Or how he looked his best when he just woke up. I envied him for that.

        "What are you thinking?" He whispered, his hot breath lingering on my lips.

        I exhaled through my nose and snuggled into him.

        "Nothing." I replied.

         My voice was low and I sounded more tired than I was.

        He flipped me over so I was against his stomach, my bare legs entwined with his clothed ones. I curled my fingers over his and huddled to him for warmth.

        "You're lying." He stated, placing kisses along my shoulder.

        "What are you thinking?" I retorted.

        He sighed and nibbled at the shirt, "About you."

        He breathed me in, once more. This Ondrej was so much different from the one the night before. He sounded happier, acted happier, even at eight in the morning.

        "You should go by the shop." He said.

        His statement surprised me and I was sure he knew it from the jolt in my chest. I didn't even want to think of the shop or work. All I wanted was to take things bit by bit. First by figuring out things between Ondrej and I. I wanted to go back to how things were. Not to February, but to just before he came home. We were happy then, even though he was bed ridden. We made the most of it.

        "I don't want to. Not yet." I spoke softly, playing with our fingers on my waist.

        "What if I go with you?"

        I turned in his arms, resting my thin arms on his chest, "You'd do that?"

        He kissed my forehead and stayed that way for a few moments. I let him take his time, whether he was contemplating what he got himself into or just enjoying the moment. Either way, I didn't mind the affection.

        "Of course I would."

        I quickly kissed his lips and grinned up at him. It was the happiest I'd been in weeks.

                                                                                                *~*

        After a not-so-quick shower together, we walked the streets of Channelside to the parlor. The shop was set up closer to the University of Tampa, near Kennedy Boulevard. It was still considered downtown Tampa, so the walk wouldn't be terrible, although, the heat was quickly approaching Florida.

        Usually, I wouldn't be complaining, but I was stuck in the thick leggings from the night before and one of Ondrej's shirts. Thankfully, I left a pair of Toms in the apartment so I wouldn't have to walk half a mile in six-inch heels.

        The first half of the walk was quiet, but comfortable, and the second half was filled with laughter. He caught me up with how the team was doing and how our group was. Apparently Tyler did come out with whom he was dating and brought her to the apartment. Her name was Andrea, but Ondrej stated he couldn't remember. Nice girl though.

        "How are you doing, now that Rich's gone?" I asked.

        He shrugged next to me, "I knew it was going to happen eventually," We turned onto my street, "It's weird to think that we were in 'Cuse together just three years ago, now he's moved in with his girlfriend."

        I was glad he was letting it all out. Although I was sure Richard didn't mean to leave Ondrej, especially in his time of need, but having a happy couple around the apartment wasn't necessarily in Ondrej's best interest anyway.

        As I approached the glass door, I stopped in my tracks and looked up and down the building. It was a single floor, one of four sections in a strip mall. The over all location wasn't high standard, but it was enough for me. The windows were tinted with a blue hue, yet you could still see the tile gleam through it.

        He took my hand in his and smiled down at me. It gave me the confidence to unlock and push the door open. A rush of hot, sticky air blew threw me, causing my hair to instantly stick to my face. It wasn't the best way to be greeted after not being at the shop for God knows how long, but I was glad to be back nonetheless. Especially with Ondrej at my side.

        I slowly entered, my shoes scuffing against the black tile. Ondrej pushed through me and trailed to the back wall to flip the lights on, as if he had done it a thousand times before. I took the time to look around the room. The paintings still looked new, yet had a dusty film along the glass. The furniture, including the benches, looked new and unused. It really hadn't been that long, but it seemed like forever.

        Ondrej sat on my designated bench and smiled to himself.

        "What?" I asked, walking closer to him.

        "Time to break it in again, huh?"

        I furrowed my brows at him and went over to the power box to turn the air conditioning on.

        Ondrej flipped his shirt over his head and lay against the leather, folding his arms under his head.

        "You're joking." I scoffed.

        He just shook his head and closed his eyes.

        "Surprise me."