Chapter 7

Scarlett's Point of View

It had been a week. A solid week and I hadn't seen him. Not once. I woke up alone and went to bed alone. If only he knew how unwell I was when I was alone. Still I was coping, focusing on work. Actually I was pulling more than my CEO weight at work currently. I had team members off sick, so, I took on more cases.

Plus I wasn't going to lie. I was avoiding the whole 'I'm at home waiting for you' when Nate did reappear.

It late afternoon and I had brought work home. I hadn't wanted too. But I couldn't get work done there with everyone walking in and out of my office with questions. It was our monthly review- normally I had people under me to do it. But they were off sick. So I somehow got lumped with that as well.

To be honest I was thankful it was a Friday. I was planning on having Saturday off. I rarely had days off. But I needed just one day to myself. One day to sleep, and do what I was meant to do. My relaxation, have my pills at the right times and get a full night sleep- by taking my sleeping tablets.

My phone was ringing on the bed and I was trying to do up the zipper to my dress. I picked up the phone on the last ring.

"Scarlett Shaw speaking?" I swear this zipper was stuck.

"It's Chamber's."

My expression dropped immediately and I pulled the phone away from my ear. How was it possible I didn't have my own husband's number?

"Here I was thinking you forgot about me." I couldn't stop the edge in my voice. I knew, he didn't know, I hated being alone. But still, who just disappears for a week?

"So someone else been sleeping with you every night then?" His voice had a seriousness tone to it. "Cause I'd be mighty mad if that was the case."

"What are you on about?"

"I've been home every night Scarlett. Trust me, it hasn't been easy leaving you." His voice broke. "Especially with what you've been sleeping in."

I gasped and dropped the phone accidentally. Oh. My. God. I was panicking. Then I took a sharp breath in and picked up the phone.

"Did you just drop the phone?" The humor was clear in his voice. "Come on, you have nothing to be sly about."

My expression tightened. "I thought I was sleeping alone."

"Well in that case. Can you think you are sleeping alone every night?" He was totally flirting with me. Or was he just making fun of me? I had been sleeping in, well not much. Lingerie in fact. Cause I didn't think he was coming home and I had been stripping and sleeping and then leaving.

In fact, I had been getting up so earlier and getting home so late, it was close to impossible for him to be coming in such a small window.

"Nice try Nathanial. But there is no way you are coming home after me or leaving before me." I was confident about that. He was joking with me. He had to be.

"You are right, completely impossible." He sighed. "But I have to say, my new favorite color is pink, light pink- with white trims."

My mouth fell open. Oh my god- he had been home. He had totally seen me! At the very least, he had seen me last night. The lingerie he was talking about was on the floor in the bathroom right now.

"For a girl who doesn't want guys attention, you sure do wear sexy lingerie." His voice had more curiousness to it now. "Who are you dressing up for Scarlett?" His voice hardened slightly. "Want to tell me who is getting the pleasure of seeing you wearing that, Mrs Chamber's?"

I scoffed. He wasn't serious? He couldn't be serious? Did I answer him or did I hang up?

"It turns out there is someone." I composed myself. Taking the upper hand. "Someone who gets to not only see but touch."

"I think I'm going to go."

"My husband." The end of his line went silent. Looks like I had the upper hand again. "So is there a reason you've called me?" I felt confident now, I hadn't been dressing up for anyone and he had been seeing, what he shouldn't.

He cleaned his throat. "Yeah there is a reason."

"Not just to discuss my lingerie I'm assuming?" Why wasn't I so nervous now talking about it with him? Maybe because he was the speechless one now.

"No." His answer was clipped. "My unit has been doing training, well intense training to make up for our break."

"Ok." I was frowning now, so that answered where he had been. But why was he telling me now?

"The guys are really getting into me about not meeting you." His voice waved with nerves. "Um they are having this thing tonight."

"Ok." I repeated the same one word. Then it hit me. "You want me to come?" Surely he wasn't asking that. "Or are you telling me you won't be home tonight?" That was more likely.

"Can you come? I get the impression you are busy woman?"

Ok. I was not expecting that. I nervously started to move from foot to foot. Crowds. Clubs. I normally avoided both, it brought on anxiety. But I had to make a good impression on Nate's friends. After everything he had done for me.

"Sure where do you want to meet?" I could totally do this. I'd just pop a few anxiety pills. I had enough of them, all types too.

"We are all going to club indigo. Have you heard of it?"

"Yeah." In fact I owned the chain and club across the coast, all named Indigo cause it was my favourite colour when I was little. "I'll meet you there, what time?"

"Actually could we meet up, maybe for lunch? Have a meal together, how does that sound?"

Again, I heard nerves in his voice. Like he was asking me out on a first date and I felt guilty cause I knew the day I had ahead of me.

"I'd normally say yes, but I won't get time today." I finally zipped up the side of my dress. "I'll meet you at the club say eleven?"

"Well if you can't leave work, I'm happy to see where you work. You know I still don't know what it is you do?"

Now that made me more nervous than him seeing me in lingerie. What I did for a living, told a story. When people ask, why mental health- I can't say, because I suffered it first hand and I never mentioned Lilly.

"I don't think that's a good idea. Look just message me the details and I'll meet you at the club. I have to go." And then I quickly hung up, like a coward.

It wasn't a big deal if Nate knew what I did for a living? It didn't automatically mean I suffered from a mental illness. He would have to find out one day what I did... but I wasn't sure how to introduce him to a world I was a center of. If he knew about the clinic, he would soon find out my families money was nothing on mine.