Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Scarlett's Point of View

Song: Hero by Skillet

I stared down at the picture. How long have I spent looking at it? I just kept finding myself pulling the article back to me, every five minutes. It was a habit. I'd push it away. Then pull it back.

Nathanial Chambers

The stranger that saved me.

He saved my life. But that wasn't being factored in to his case. My eyes ran over the details of his bail. He was being charged with manslaughter because he took two head shots, after the men had already been disabled.

The article didn't include all facts about the case. Something about details of the case not being able to be shared with the public. So I knew there were facts about Nathanial, that was being withheld. I drummed my fingers on the table, my eyes staring down at the picture.

That night, it was a blur- it was like my body blocked out the details because I couldn't process them. I looked harder at Nathanial's picture. I wanted so badly to turn back the time, and make it so he never came into the pharmacy that night. So he was never put in the position to save my life or not.

Look at what saving my life was going to cost him! His life! In prison! All because of me!

I pushed the article away frustrated with myself again. How could god let this happen?! If there was a god, he should know my life meant nothing- I was ready for it to end one day- soon.

Some days I actually prayed for it to end.

I lean back in the chair. I was putting off making my statement. I had my lawyer spin them lines for two weeks, but tomorrow I had to face it. I had to testify against a man that saved my life and send him to prison.

"Scarlett did you take my advice on the stock?"

My eyes snapped off my work and on to my Dad. "Um, no I didn't Dad." I tried to be in the moment but the truth was I couldn't be. I was still stuck in the pharmacy against the wall, seeing those two men drop dead.

I heard that man's threat- he was serious, he was going to kill me. My eyes went back to the article and Nathanial Chambers had saved me. He had stopped those men from killing me.

How the hell was it fair that my words were the one that would send him to prison?

It was so fucking unfair!

"Why get a better deal?" Dad was still talking to me.

I exhaled slowly. My mind was on sending a perfectly good man to prison not on increasing my bank account.

Dad and Mum were acting like nothing happened. Like me being here wasn't a big warning. I never really moved out from home. I just was never here. I stayed between hotels, lived out of suit cases and slept on my office couch a lot- like a hell of a lot.

Getting my own place should be on my cards, but I just knew I would never be there. Some days though, I would think how nice it would be to have my own kitchen, and my own study where I can set up my work and it can remain there- not pushed to the side, as soon as the next client came into my office.

I tapped my pen on the table. "I just haven't had my head on the figures Dad." I didn't lie. My eyes dropped back down to the picture of Nathanial Chambers. The black and white slightly blurred picture showed a face I couldn't remember. Because I had been in so much shock and then I went into a melt down in his arms, just crying into his chest- I don't know how long for.