Chapter 9

I woke up to Modo in my room. She sat up on the bed beside me and announced with a big grin, "Nicole get up. I have something to show you."

  I covered my head with a pillow, "how did you get in here?"

  "Sorin has no need to lock his door, no one would dare come in when he was not home without permission." She misunderstood my reaction. I didn't want company.

  I felt like I had just gone to sleep, my eyes were sore and puffy. I wasn't sure how much longer I could handle the sleepless nights.

  "Poor thing, were you crying?" She looked at me with concern.

  I felt embarrassed, but she seemed not to notice. "I was just thinking about my family last night and I couldn't help it. We've already lost too much. I can't go through that again." My eyes started to water.

  She reached over and wiped away the tears, her face full of compassion. "Get dressed. I have something that will brighten your somber mood." 

  I got up, grabbed some clothes, and headed into the bathroom for a quick shower. When I came out, Modo and Maximus were playing together on the bed.

  "I love him. Does everyone keep animals inside where you are from?"

  I nodded. It was hard not to smile watching them play as Max kept licking her on the nose. I told her I had to take him outside, but she had already taken him for me. She locked her arm in mine and led me out to the hall. 

  I started to head for the stairs, but she scoffed and pulled me the other way. For a second I was confused. Until I saw where we were headed. "There is an elevator here?" I couldn't believe Sorin didn't tell me. I furrowed my brow and walked in.

  It's like he wants me to be dependent on him. He doesn't tell me anything!

  "What is his problem?" I muttered to my self.

  "It frustrates you, how protective he is," Modo said.

  "That's an understatement," I replied sourly.

  "Try to ignore it. I do."  

  "Isn't he your commanding officer though?" 

  She smiled at me. "Yes, he is. Sometimes you have to overlook his actions to see his true intentions."

  "But he's so secretive and controlling and guarded." I grumbled in my bad mood. "He doesn't tell me anything."

   She looked amused. "Do not be too hard on him, he is used to being in complete control of his surroundings. He is very different around you. Your rebellious nature is particularly distressing for him. Give him a chance and you will see, he is not so bad."

  As we stepped out of the elevator, Sorin was in the hall with a group of Guardians. His eyes caught mine for a split second, but in my grumpy mood I ignored him as I passed.  

  We headed to the Medical center. I figured they had more tests for me. If this was Modo's idea of making me feel better, it wasn't working. As we opened the large glass doors, I heard shouting.

  "I have rights!" A woman shouted. "You can't keep me here against my will!"

  Holy shit! Adrenalin coursed through my body as I ran into the room and came face to face with Emily.

   "Nicole!? Thank God! These people are crazy! You wouldn't believe the things they're saying!"

  I didn't even reply to her, I just grabbed her in the tightest hug. I was so happy to see her I couldn't stop my tears from streaming down my face.  I pulled back to look at her.