Chapter Three

Silent Melody- Chapter Three 

“Your room is this way,” my father was saying. He was holding my suitcase and stumbling up the stairs of his house. Around me, it was quiet. To be honest, I’d thought that it would be buzzing with the noise of my new family.

            I followed him up the steps, feeling awkward. The house was gorgeous, and I felt as though if I touched even one thing, I’d ruin it.

            Family photos lined the walls. Occasionally, I’d see a picture of my dad and me, but it was mostly pictures of Adam, Shelbie, and my father. What I assumed to be her side of the family also appeared more than once. A golden retriever had its own column of portraits, all of in which he looked to be enjoying himself; mouth open and tongue out.

            Paintings were scattered; gorgeous and proportioned perfectly. Every wooden surface was a mahogany shade, and even the floors looked freshly polished. As I walked up each step, the doors lining the upstairs hallway became distinct. There were four of them, each painted white with the same doorknob.

            I was concentrating so hard on not ruining my surroundings that I fell forward on the last step of the stairs. I fell face first on the wooden floor, my bag plumping limply beside me; so much for not ruining anything.

            A groan escaped my lips, almost so quiet that it was incoherent. A door opened and closed, bringing a pair of footsteps and claws clicking across the floor. My face was suddenly being licked to the fullest slobbery extent, and dog breath was the only thing I could smell.

            My father was laughing. “Honey, are you okay?” My bag disappeared from my side, and a hand—not my father’s—appeared to help me up.

            “I thought a bag of bricks had fallen,” a boy said. He was laughing as well; his laugh was much younger and lighter than my father’s. Once I had recomposed myself, I was eye to eye with the teenager who had spoken. “Sorry about Cameo, he’s not shy. I’m Adam. You must be Auden!”

            I nodded and smiled, though in pain from the floor. Adam was very enthusiastic; it was kind of scary. He seemed nice nonetheless.

            I pet the golden retriever that I’d seen in so many pictures as I studied Adam. His hair was golden brown and almost shoulder-length, parted through the middle. I saw his big brown eyes clearly, along with his dimples and freckles.

            “Glad to see that we’re all acquainted here, but,” my father struggled, “I think I’d like to put Auden’s bags into her room so that I can eat a sandwich and sleep.”

            “Okay, Dad! I was going to make myself a sandwich as well; I’ll go ahead and make you one. Would you like one, Auden?” Adam asked, moving toward the stairs.

            I nodded, feeling my stomach grumble.

            He smiled, “Okay, great. I’ll get you a soda too. It was awesome meeting you.” With that, he retreated to the kitchen downstairs, leaving me to follow my father once more to my room.

            My room was not as impressive as the rest of the house, but it was definitely close. A four-poster bed was set in the middle of the room with a violet comforter set, a desk and chair were by a window with gray curtains, a dresser was in a corner of the room with empty picture frames on it, and a trashcan was beside my bed. Everything seemed untouched, and to be honest, I couldn’t wait to make a mess.

            “Do you like it?” my father asked skeptically. I nodded. “Are you sure?” I nodded again. “Okay, well, Shelbie should be home soon. I’m going to go eat. Love you, honey.”