Chapter Six

Silent Melody- Chapter Six

The door was already open as I wandered into the classroom. Nobody had noticed me yet. The teacher, a young woman with dazzling red hair, was talking about Lord of the Flies, and everyone was focused.

            Of course, that is, until I dropped my textbook.

            It landed with a thud, and I blushed as I fumbled to pick it up. I felt all eyes on me, making my face an even darker shade of red. Only I could somehow manage to do this.

            Once I stood again, the teacher said, “Oh! You must be Auden. I’m Miss Gavin. We were just talking about an assigned book, I’ll give you a copy at the end of class.”

            I nodded. Around me, everyone was staring with curious eyes. A few of them might have recognized me from earlier when I was walking with Adam. Gosh, I hated being center of attention. I just had to drop my textbook.

            “You can sit anywhere you like,” Miss Gavin said, smiling at me.

            When I first walked into the classroom, I hadn’t noticed that it was half empty—or half full, depending on how you looked at it. There were maybe ten people in the classroom, at most. Honors English was never that hard, so why the lack of people? I’d expect more, simply because of the amount of students.

            Each table in the room could sit at least two people, but everyone had their own. I was about to sit next to a girl with bright blonde hair before I noticed another totally empty desk near the back. I couldn’t have been more thankful.

            For one, I didn’t want to intrude on someone who really wanted to be alone. For another, I really didn’t want to make the other person feel obliged to small talk with me.

            Miss Gavin had already begun speaking again, writing notes on the whiteboard behind her.

            The boy in front of me turned around, flashing me a smile. “Hey, new girl, I’m Jace. How’re you doing?”

            I shrugged. Then I remembered Justin said his brother’s name was Jace. There wasn’t much similarity, though. Jace’s hair was brown and reached his eyebrows, and his eyes were a caramel brown. He didn’t have a crooked nose. The only thing that seemed similar was the dimple in his right cheek that appeared when he smiled.

            He grinned, “So you’re name is Auden?” I nodded. “That’s cool. My little sister’s middle name is Aubrey. Close enough, right?”

            I pulled a pencil out from my bag and began tapping it on the desk.

            “The quiet type, huh?” he asked. Again, I shrugged. “Okay, I understand. Can I see your schedule?”

            I nodded, and handed the paper to him. He studied it for a minute.

            “You have next and last period with me. Oh, and lunch,” he said. Miss Gavin was oblivious to our—his—chit chat. Jace seemed like one of those outgoing guys with tons of friends. His skin was evenly tanned, so he was probably the sporty type. But, who was I to say? This was a really warm place, everyone was tan.

            “New girl, you can stick with me today. I know how hard it is to be the new kid. It’s awful to have to walk by yourself.”

            I smiled, and he looked relieved. It was as though my smile told him that I wasn’t ignoring him or just acting interested.