Chapter Five

Silent Melody- Chapter Five

I’d never experienced a first day at a new school as the new kid. But honestly, I was terrified. Movies taught me that I’d either be accepted almost immediately, or shoved into a locker and laughed at.

            “Do you have everything?” my father asked as I drank from my glass of orange juice. I nodded. “Are you sure?”

            Adam wandered into the kitchen with us, hair still wet from his shower. “She has everything except for her wallet, which just so happens to have her lunch money in it. I checked.”

            I sighed, but mouthed a short thanks to him.

            “No problem, little sister.” He mussed up my hair with his hand, and sat next to me. I felt relieved that he’d welcomed me as his new sibling with open arms.

            My father tapped his foot anxiously. “You guys better get going. Don’t want to be late, huh?” I laughed. Why was he nervous? It wasn’t his first day.

            “You’re riding with me,” Adam said, grabbing my bag and handing it to me. “I got my license, and a car, last month. Oh, can’t wait.”

            These people were family, so why didn’t I want to talk to them? They’ve treated me better in the last week than my mother has in my entire life. My father, Shelbie, and Adam haven’t tried to force me to talk to them, and yet it’s still there: the expectancy.

            “Shall we go then, Auden?” Adam asked, offering me his arm. I nodded, grabbing all of my stuff and linking arms with him. My father kissed my forehead, and mumbled goodbye as Adam and I retreated from the house.

            Adam’s car wasn’t something as fancy as I expected, but it wasn’t something you’d suspect had just come out of a junk yard. It was a midnight blue with chipped paint and dents scattered everywhere; but seeing it made me relax about my first day of school for a little bit.

            “So,” Adam said as he pulled out of the driveway. “Selective mutism doesn’t seem that bad. I mean, you don’t have to worry about being called on in class. Dad called the school last night and told them about your condition. He told them he’d like it if the staff didn’t try to force you do talk.”

            I smiled, grateful for the gesture. I mean, had they called on me in the middle of class, I’d look stupid.

            “Do you know if you’ll ever trust me, Dad, or Shelbie? I’d like to be able to talk to you, and I’m sure Dad feels the same way. We aren’t going to make you feel obliged to talk if you don’t feel comfortable, but we are going to help you work up to feeling more comfortable.” He didn’t sound harsh, but neutral. His eyes were set intently on the road, and I knew he wanted an actual answer. But I didn’t know.

            I felt, in one word, guilty. I was perfectly fine with talking with Kyle, but to my actual family members? Why was this so hard? I didn’t want to have to sit through this, because I’d end up feeling guiltier as it went on.

            The conversation was clearly over, though, when he said, “I’ll walk you to the office when we get there. The secretary wants to get everything settled and I think someone is going to give you a tour.”

            I nodded, remembering why I was so nervous this morning.

            All too soon, the thick white lettering of ‘Hamilton High School’ appeared in my vision. Students and staff were cascading from vehicles and buses, heading inside. Everyone looked pretty normal—not that I was expecting any less.