Chapter 28: The Lost Of A Protector

Hunter popped an eye open only to find himself wrap tightly and securely in the arms of his father. The man was sleeping with light snores emitting from his mouth every now and then. The sun was blazing and penetrating the room window. A shiny gold thing caught his eyes and there it was: a gold wedding ring sitting on his father's ring finger.

Where did that came from? he thought curiously.

"Alec? You awake?" He heard his father asked.

"Yes, Dad." Said Hunter.

The said man, 'Hmm,' and pulled himself up. Alex helped his father to the bathroom and took the liberty to prepare his clothes. He did his morning routine and made pancakes with maple syrup.

Together, he and his father ate their breakfast quietly. The silence continued when neither of them talked. Ezra was drinking a cup of coffee like usual while Hunter content himself with a cup of milk. The silence was interrupted when Ezra said "Hunter, I need to complete some paperwork for school. Do you think you can find something to entertain yourself with 'til I'm done with work?" Hunter nodded and headed to the small library they had.

He sat in front of the fireplace and read The Great Gatsby which happens to be his favorite book. His mind wandered off.

---()----()----()----

Ezra wheeled his wheelchair to his study room and did his paperwork. He then heard a rustling sound. Paper rustling. He ignored it thinking it was probably the piles of papers he had.

He shrugged and continue doing his work when he heard the sound once more. He looked around the room when the sight of parchment caught his eyed near the window. He picked up the parchment. On the parchment was the Malfoy seal, and the letter was from Lucius Malfoy.

He gently open the letter and read it. He certainly didn't expect the content of the letter.

Ezra,

Good to know that you and Hunter are great. Indeed the dried leaves were brought to me. Recently, The Dark Lord had a raid at the Ministry Of Magic where he wanted to get the prophecy he was obsessed with. Alas, I'm saddened to say that a life has been lost. Sirius Black was murdered by Bellatrix Lestrange. I extend my condolences to Hunter. Send him my regards. Take care, dear friend.

Lucius Malfoy

P. S. Cissa has been trying to make me spit out your whereabouts, but I have managed to digress her from thinking about you two. Farewell for now.

Ezra gulped. He knew this would be a hard thing to break to Alexander since he still trying to get over the fact that he had to leave the Mutt and the Werewolf behind. They were still adjusting to their lifestyle. Hunter would be sad-- no, heartbroken.

How would he break the news?

He folded the letter and hid it in the drawer deciding that he would not tell Alec until the time is right. He silently walked out of the room and pushed Black's death to the back of his mind. The boy isn't ready for this. With that lingering in his mind, he wheeled out of his room searching for the messy haired tyke.

He looked around the house and realized he couldn't find the boy. Panic aroused. The boy was nowhere to be found. 'Where is the boy?!' He thought. He decided to look outside of the house since the boy usually goes out to the garden. He went to the garden and there he saw a head of messy hair. He breathed out in relief knowing the boy was safe and unhurt.

He wheeled towards the boy. The said boy was on the grass, eyed closed and taking in the fresh air and sun. "Enjoying the sun, Alec?" Drawled Ezra.