Chapter 1: The Beginning

Harry awoke with a blurry vision. He was in his dorm room, lying on his bed, with the sheets entangled around his small frame. Harry yawned, popping one lazy eye open after the other. He looked around and saw his friends still sleeping like the dead. Ron was, as usual, snoring. Neville was facing the door, Dean was curling and Seamus had his mouth open.

As Harry tried to stand, his vision started to blur. His vision started to have little spots on them and they blackened. Harry blinked, then composed himself.

He really had no time for any sort of illness or ailment right now. Snape made it clear that we will fail those who would not attend that day's class, and Harry just didn't want that. Contrary to popular belief, he wanted to pass Snape's subject and move on to NEWTS level with decent marks. He wanted to pass because he wanted to prove to people, especially the likes of Malfoy, that he was more than fame, and he was more than the label attached to him.

So Harry stood, and slowly but surely made his way towards their bathroom, opting to hold on to the wall using his hands to steady himself and blinking every now and then to stop the world from spinning right in front of his eyes. He noticed since the beginning of term that he feels tired most of the time, and he had unexplained loss of appetite. But then again, Harry wasn't much of an eater like Ron. He preferred small meals, usually just a sandwich or two.

After a few moments, Harry found that he was feeling much lighter and better.

Maybe it was just the late night reviews and stuff, Harry thought.

So he turned on the tap and bathed like he usually did. He pondered on what Snape would make them do today. He actually worked on Potions during the last assignment given to them, and Hermione told him that she was proud that Harry was finally showing initiative. Harry smiled at the memory and the fact that for the first time, he was finding Potions interesting. Of course, not as interesting as that of Defense, but at least he wanted something to do with it. He had actually found Potions helpful.

----

As Harry swallowed the last of the porridge, he felt his stomach stirring. Then, there was the pain. Harry winced a bit, his face screwing at the suddenness of it.

A hand found its way on Harry's shoulder. It was Ron, whose blue eyes looked at Harry with concern, "You okay, Harry?"

"Yeah," Harry answered automatically, "Yeah. Just a bit of something in my stomach. Guess I really need to cut off my snacks. I felt full all of a sudden."

"I don't think that a good idea, mate," Ron said with a frown, "You eat so little. Are you sure you're fine?"

"Of course I am, Ron, don't worry about me! It's just the thought of our NEWTS week approaching, I think."

"The more reason why you shouldn't skip meals, mate."

Another wave of pain and Harry clutched his stomach. He winced again. This was not good.

Ron was really worried by then. He knew Harry wouldn't say anything even if it was hard for him, "You're making me worried, Harry! Where's Hermione? Maybe she can help me bring you to the Infirmary before we head on to our class."

But Harry shook his head. He won't allow Ron to be late for class just because of him, "No. No, Ron. I'm fine, really. Just to make you feel less worried, I promise I'll go to Madame Pomfrey before I go to class. A bit of those things for the stomach will make this go away. Just like the last time."

Although unconvinced, Ron heeded. Harry wouldn't endanger himself, Ron thought, or I'll drag him to St. Mungo's if I have to.

----

Harry waited for Ron to go before he sprinted to the nearest lavatory. But to his dismay, he wasn't able to reach where he wanted to go before he was out of breath, and his knees started to shake. He was feeling more tired than usual. It irked Harry to even acknowledge the pain in his stomach, much more the fact that he was tired again. He hated that he couldn't run like before. He was thankful that Umbridge had persuaded the Ministry to ban Quidditch for a while, after a Muggleborn said that she finds more learning in Quidditch than in Umbridge's class, or he wouldn't be able to keep up.

Harry had to support himself through leaning on the wall just to reach the lavatory. Inside, he composed himself, and tried his hardest to make himself forget the pain and the tiredness he was feeling.

After a few minutes, when he felt that he can stand straight, Harry stood and made his way to the classroom.

----

The last class was Potions. Snape was not there when Harry, Hermione and Ron had arrived. In fact, they were the first ones to arrive. Harry was feeling a lot more tired than he was earlier, and it did not help a bit. Ron and Hermione eyed him, but Harry gave them a smile like he always did. They seemed to have been convinced, as they took out their things and started to talk casually.

They waited for the rest of the class to arrive. Snape came after fifteen minutes, his robes billowing and his voice loud and clear, "You dimwits better had done right what I had assigned to you, or I will not think twice about taking you off my class. Turn over your essays!"

Just as the class scrambled to do so, Harry felt his abdomen cramping.

Sweet Merlin! Not now! Harry cursed. But the pain started to worsen and Harry felt himself go weak. It was the worst feeling Harry had felt in his life.

"POTTER! Where is your essay?! Have you no plans to pass it?!"

Harry's head whirled with panic. He was stuck, and he couldn't even formulate a coherent sentence.

"Potter, must I repeat myself?!"

Harry shook his head. No, he was not stupid. But the pain in his abdomen was taking over all the sensation in his body.

Yet Harry didn't back down. He took out his essay despite the blinding pain and Snape went over and took it harshly from Harry's hands.

"Detention, Mister Potter. And five points from Gryffindor! See you at seven, my office."

Harry almost groaned, if not for the pain. He meekly accepted Snape's glare, his classmates' stares and the consequences of having a cramped abdomen.