Chapter 13: A friend indeed is a friend in need

Lucius, who was nursing his usual brandy after dinner, was startled by a popping sound he heard. He stood with a grace, left his room and headed towards the sitting room. He thought it might be his wife, Narcissa, who was spending the night at her sister's, although in secrecy. To his utter surprise, there stood Severus Snape and Harry Potter.

"What--what are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at Hogwarts? And why is Potter here with you, Severus?" Lucius asked.

"I need your help Lucius," said Severus, who headed straight to the point.

Lucius smirked, knowing his friend would go straight to the point.

There's something that bothers him, Lucius noticed. Severus looks anxious, worried... and scared? He rarely looks scared, while Potter is mirroring Severus' look.

But Lucius nodded and asked Severus to continue. The other man took a seat and Lucius called a house elf, asking brandy for his old friend and warm milk for Potter, who accepted the rather mundane drink, looking grateful. When he heard Severus' tale, Lucius Malfoy felt himself go weak.  He didn't expect things to be that alarming.

'Dear Merlin! Blood quill of all things?! What are you playing at, Umbridge?' Lucius thought.

"What is it that you need my help for, Severus?" The Malfoy patriarch asked.

"It's not safe for Harry to remain here or me, Lucius. It's Dolores Umbridge we're talking here! She'll send me to Azkaban the minute she knows what I am, and I can't let that happen. With Dumbledore gone, I'm in danger. Harry too!" Snape exclaimed anxiously.

"I agree. What is your plan, Severus?" Lucius affirmed.

"I don't know. I--" said Snape before he was interrupted by the Potter boy.

"Wait, what?! Dumbledore gone? What's going on?! Is that why you were early fetching me from St. Mungo's? Just so you know, Professor, I'm here!" Harry spluttered, his glass of milk almost spilling to the floor.

Snape glared at Harry for interrupting and then softened when he saw the young man's confused look, "Professor Dumbledore have been arrested by the Aurors and Umbridge is taking over the school. Hogwarts isn't what it seems like or what it used to be," said the Potions Master.

"Arrested?! Goodness, Snape! Why haven't I got wind of that?!" Lucius asked, his voice rising. "How come Wizengamot hasn't heard of this?"

"You mean you don't know?" The Potter boy asked incredously, "Aren't you one of those Wizen-whatever, Malfoy? And wait!" Harry turned to Snape, his head snapping, "Why did we come here, Professor? Don't tell me you trust him?"

It was Lucius' turn to glare at Harry. The Potter boy glared back.

"Harry Potter!" Severus chided, "Lucius is one of my oldest friends, Harry. He is willing to help us. Now get back to your seat, and--"

"--But, sir!"

"No!" Severus scolded the boy again, "I know you have every reason to doubt Lucius, but--" when Harry started to stand, his green eyes flaring, Severus caught the boy's arm, "Listen to me while I am addressing you, boy! Get back here!"

At the sharp tone, Harry sank back to Snape's side, but continued glaring at Lucius. To his surprise, Severus Snape looked at him and clasped his arm, "Thank you, Harry. Now," he said, turning to Lucius, "shall we get back to discussion?"

"What are we going to do?" Harry asked, his voice now lost with energy.

"Leave," said Lucius out of the sudden. Harry's eyes snapped back again towards the other man, and he looked at him with anger. How dare he?!