Chapter 4: Red shoes in the woods Part 1

Anna’s P.O.V.

From the moment Lauren had invited me over, I had been in some sort of dream state. I recalled how Brenann had spoken about his home, with such love, so tender… I longed for a home I could talk about with so much love.

The day passed in mostly a blur, I danced as well as I could but still, the idea that I might be pregnant haunted me.

After school, I met Lauren at the entrance; she was waiting for me with a happy smile.

“Let’s go.” She said and pointed towards the bus stop. We waited for a few minutes in comfortable silence before the bus came and we headed off to the opposite direction I had come from this morning, away from the city.

An hour, filled with simple yet pleasant chit-chat, the bus stopped and Lauren told me this was our stop. I looked out the window and saw we were in a wooded area, a wonderfully green area. We jumped out of the bus and onto the soft soil at the side of the road. Lauren started walking.

“Where is your place?” I asked her eagerly.

“It’s just a short walk away to the gates.” She said. I smiled and followed. As she had said, it was only a short walk, about 10 minutes. We reached high gates that weren’t fully closed so entering was easy. The moment we walked through the gate I could see a lot of different houses, some small, others big. People were walking everywhere, walking, talking, playing games and all other sorts of things. The thing that surprised me most was the enormous amount of children running around.

“Why are there so many children?” I asked Lauren.

“Oh, no particular reason, the number of twins and triplets is quite high here and most people feel safe enough to have many children, they know they will get a good education on the grounds and have more than enough room to play.” She said. It still didn’t explain everything for me but it decided to leave it at that for now.

“Which house is yours?” I asked. Lauren was about to answer when a guy walked up to us.

“Hey Lauren, is this a new member? I’m taking over Brenann’s responsibilities for now so I’ll take over from he-“ he couldn’t finish his sentence because Lauren punched him in the stomach with major effect.

It surprised me, Lauren was about a foot taller than I but I didn’t expect her to take down a 7 feet giant… I looked at the guy who was hunched over. He was built like a bear, with huge broad shoulders and a strong jaw line, his hair was dirty blond and his eyes a pale blue color. He seemed quite nice. I put my hand on his shoulder and bend over slightly.

“Are you alright?” I asked him with concern.

“Oh yeah, Lauren likes hitting me, I’ll be fine.” He laughed. “I’m Harrison by the way, and who might you be?” He asked as he straightened himself and shook my hand.

“I’m Anna, pleasure to meet you.” I smiled. I now understood why he had been so affected by Lauren’s punch. This guy was nothing more than an oversized teddy bear.

“Alright Anna, if you will follow me we’ll take this conversation to the office.” He said.

“What conversation?” I asked confused. Lauren hit him on the back of the head before he could reply and hissed something to him softly which seemed to shake him up quite a bit,

“Come Anna, I’ll show you the house.” Lauren said as she turned towards me with a smile.

“What conversation?” I asked again, feeling very confused.