Epilogue

Epilogue

Jean Harrison. March 17th 1970June 30th 2006.

“Hi, mum,” I say, sitting cross-legged on her grave that is situated under a tree. This is the very same tree my mum sit under to sing to me. When she was terribly ill, she told me that she wanted to be buried under this tree.

“It’s been three years since I left for Scotland and I missed you so much.”

A gentle wind hit me in the face.

I smile and pick a wild flower that was growing near mum’s grave.

“I bet you’re wondering what I’ve been up to. Well ...” I recite my adventures in Scotland to mum. Gotten accused of stealing from an old lady, chased by vicious Scots, stuck in the woods with a cowardly redhead who wears a kilt and carries a bagpipe, robbed by Madame Zelda and more. If mum is really beside me, I bet she would roll on the floor laughing.

“So far, I hadn’t bump into the old lady, Viking moron or the wrestlers, which I’m grateful for. Lucy is stuck in Scotland with her strict aunt, but once in awhile escaped to Keith’s and my apartment to get away from her Scottish family,” I say, playing with the wild flower in my hands.

Suddenly it gets brighter and a rainbow visibly appears.

“Madame Zelda was caught by the police a few days after Keith and I reached Loch Ness. I got my money back, which is a good thing. Hmm, who else do I miss? I saw Fred once, in a grocery store. He was about to come towards me when I saw this huge lady, who looks like his mum, grabbed him by the ear and dragged him out of the store.”

I chuckle at the memory. When I told Keith this, he was laughing like crazy.

“Remember I told you that I danced to Keith’s traditional Scottish song, mum? The teenagers recorded us and posted it on Youtube. It went viral for two weeks. Dance competitions contacted me, just to see if I want to dance with them. Of course I said no. It is a one time thing and I don’t want to embarrass myself again. Keith, however, plays for schools at first. Now he’s in a Symphony and working under the famous Andre Rieu,” I say with a smile playing on my mouth.

“I haven’t seen Gerard at all since I reach London yesterday. When I came up to his house to apologize for lying to him, his house is empty. Any idea where he went, mum?” I question, frowning.

I unconsciously play with the engagement ring around my finger. The reminder makes me smile again. “Oh! I almost forgot! Keith proposed to me a year ago. Yes, he’s my fiancé now. Our wedding will be in two weeks time.”

I rub my stomach and look around to see if Keith is around. No one is so I say softly, “Oh and mum, you’re going to be a grandmother. Keith doesn’t know about this yet, but I’m planning to tell him tonight. Madeline figured it out a few days ago and was over the moon about the thought. I have no doubt that Craig knows about it as well.”

In my head, I imagine mum freeze in surprise before yelling in excitement. I laugh.

“I really do hope it’s a boy, but I don’t mind if it’s a girl…”

“Kaya! I got you flowers!” the love of my life says, walking towards me and mum’s grave with a bunch of colorful flowers in his hand.

“Great, sweetheart,” I say, pecking him in the cheeks. “Mum, meet Keith, my fiancé. Keith, this is my mum. Her name is Jean.”

Keith smile at the grave, wrapping his arms around my waist. “Hello, Mrs. Harrison. You have a wonderful daughter.”

A small buzzing catches my attention. A bee.

“Keith?” I say, grabbing his arm.

“Yes, honey?” he says, looking from the grave to me.

I tug onto his arm harder. “It’s a bee.”

Keith shoos the bee with his flower. “Nothing to worry about, dear. See.”

My eyes widen when I hear more buzzing sounds. I look up to see a bee nest on the tree, directly above us.

“Keith,” I say again, releasing him so I can run.

“What?” he asks, following my gaze to see a swarm of bees flying towards the flower Keith is holding.

“Run!” I yell, taking off towards the lake.

Keith lets out a shrill cry and throws the flowers down. Instead of flying towards the flowers, the bees come after us. “I don’t want to die!” Keith screeches behind me, making me laugh.

We jump into the lake as soon as we can. We keep quiet, watching to see if the bees decide to join us.

Luckily, the swarm of bees flies away.

I whack Keith at the back of his head. “You dimwit!”

“Violence is never the answer, dear,” Keith says, rubbing his head.

“Shut up, Skirt Boy,” I snap, feeling my mood changing. Great, my mood swings is starting.

Keith sighs as if he’s exhausted. “It is called a kilt! Not a skirt!”

I crack a smile. “It still looks like a skirt to me.”

Keith makes a childish ‘hmph!’ sound. I laugh and kiss him in the lips.

“We should get going if you want to open Madeline’s new pizzeria in London in time,” I tell him, glancing at my water-proof watch.

“Okay, as long as I have my Hawaiian pizza,” Keith says.

I glare at him. “Spicy Tuna!”

“Hawaiian!”

“Spicy Tuna!”

“For the love of God, Hawaiian!”

That is how I gotten myself kicked out of my future mother-in-law’s restaurant with the love of my life for the fifth time.