IX - Promise

IX - Promise

“I’m bored!” I complain loudly. Why does it matter if I yell out or not? No one will hear me except for Keith. In addition, I can annoy him since he’s my only source of entertainment.

The only thing I want right now other than irritate Keith is a bath and an air-conditioned room.

“Maybe we should take a break. My feet hurt,” he suggests, glaring daggers at me. He knows that I love to see him furious and we’ll start arguing until he gives in. That’s what we’ve been doing other than finding our trail back towards the road.

I’m not feeling tired at all, but I agree to rest for the sake of his poor soul.

“Can we do something?” I ask, pacing up and down in front of Keith who is leaning against the tree, panting lightly.

“How do – you have – the energy to talk?” Keith questions in between his light pants.

To be honest, the only thing that’s keeping me going is that the fact the day when most people have seen the Loch Ness Monster is in a few days time. I want to be there when Nessie decides to make an appearance.

If I miss it, I have to wait another more one year. I really want to see it this year. I know my mum would be proud of me up in Heaven.

Right now, she must be laughing her ass off at the circumstances I’m facing.

“I don’t know,” I lie, jumping on the balls of my feet.

Keith looks amused at my hyperness. “So how old are you?” he asks.

“I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling 22,” I sing Taylor Swift’s song 22.

“You have a beautiful voice,” Keith compliments. A second later, he seems to realize what he just said and blushes.

“Thank you,” I say, blushing as well.

“No problem,” he mumbles.

I look around the green around me as I think of another question. “You told me once that you’re twenty-three, what are you studying?”

Keith looks at his bagpipe for a moment as he thinks. A minute later, he responds, “I major in Scottish music.”

“Is that why you bring the bagpipe wherever you go?” I pry.

He nods with a gloomy face. “Music has always been there for me. The bagpipe is the only way I can release my stress and frustration during my teen years. I never had friends. After all, no one wants to make friends with a freak who is – ” He leaves the sentence hanging when he realizes what he talked about.

I sit next to him and take his hand, squeezing it lightly. “I’m your friend, Keith.”

He forces a laugh that doesn’t sound like the Keith I knew moments ago. “You’ll forget about me once we reach town.”

I roll my eyes at him. “I won’t, Keith. I’ll never forget you after what has happened in the past two days.”

“It’s been two days already?” Keith asks before swearing out loud. “My parents are going to kill me.”

“You still live with your parents?”

His cheek turns pink at my question. “Yes,” he stammers out. Keith quickly hides his face, as if he’s expecting me to burst out laughing.

“Your parents won’t kill you. They love you too much to do so,” I state with a smile and then stand up.

The topic of family is still a touchy subject to me. I can’t help but think of mum. She didn’t deserve to die!

Someone stops me by grabbing my hand. I turn around to see Keith looking at me in concern.

“Did I say something that upset you?” he asks.

I shake my head. A few traitor tears ski down my cheek, I quickly wipe them away with the back of my hand.

Keith notices it and pulls me into a bear hug.

“Don’t forget about me, Harrison,” he says softly into my ear.

“Never, McGregor. I promise.”

You can never miss the happiness in his smile that brightens my day.