VIII - Imposter

VIII - Imposter

“Hmm…” Madame Zelda hums. Her eyes closed and cold hands wrapped around my shaking ones. Keith watches Madame Zelda closely with narrowed eyes as if he’s suspicious of her.

Madame Zelda’s caravan is full of purple things. Purple genie lamps, purple wallpaper, purple candles, purple crystal ball and so on. There is a strong smell of candles too.

“You suffered great loss recently and you came here to look for something,” Madame Zelda says.

Keith gives me a strange look as I look at the cup of tea that Madame Zelda gave me. She is right. So far.

Madame Zelda gasps suddenly. She lets go of my hands as if she just touched a boiling kettle. “You’re cursed!”

My jaws hang open. “Excuse me?”

“Someone cursed you! You’ll never love someone forever! You have made a terrible mistake,” Madame Zelda says, covering half of her bottom face to only show her eyes.

I stare at her blankly. If this is a movie and this future prediction thing is real, there should have been dramatic thunder and lightning when she says it.

Too bad there aren’t any.

“Well, look at the time! We should better be going! So give us direction to the nearest town,” Keith says impatiently.

Madame Zelda casts a glance at him and points a skinny finger at him. “Be careful, monsieur. Something evil is after her. Get away while you can!”

Keith clenches his fists into tight balls that he knuckles turn white. “You were the Seer who told the whole town of Loch Ness that Miss Shelly’s spirit was still wandering around the woods, weren’t you?”

“Yes, it is I!” Madame Zelda says confidently.

Keith gives her a dark look. “Kaya and I spent the night in the woods and there were no spirits out there.”

Madame Zelda looks at him and then me with anxiety. Her face pales instantly. “Uh, I summoned the spirit away last night!”

“Liar!” Keith snarls, taking a step towards the con woman. “You tricked the whole town so you would gain customers out of all this voodoo nonsense. You’re nothing but a trickster! If I see you in town again, I’ll make sure everyone will know about it.”

The imposter gulps in nervousness.

I stare at Keith. He looks so handsome when he’s outrage…

“Come on, Kaya. Let’s go,” the angry redhead orders, grabbing me by the arm and drag me out of the caravan.

I manage to grab hold of my knapsack that I left by the door as Keith pulls me away from the woman. He finally stops when we can’t see the caravan anymore.

“What a cheater!” he grumbles. “Miss Shelly doesn’t exist after all!”

“Wait, so she’s been the one who was feeding the town with lies?” I ask, glancing back at the direction of her caravan.

Keith nods. “Yes.”

My eyes widen at the realization. “How dare her! Why didn’t anyone do anything about it? Why not put her behind bars?”

“She’s disappeared two years ago after she told us about Miss Shelly’s spirit wandering in the woods. I can barely remember her but I knew her name sounded familiar at first,” Keith answers, not daring to look at me. It is as if he’s shameful for believing such nonsense such as ghost.

I take his hand and make him stop walking. The Scot looks at me in confusion.

“Don’t beat yourself up over this, McGregor. Everyone can be easily fooled,” I say, staring into his wooden eyes.

“But it is ridiculous to fear something that isn’t real for two years, Harrison.”

“She is the one to be blamed. I’m proud of you for walking away though. Other people would have thrown a punch at her or something. Hell, I would have done it too!” I say.

Keith smiles, only a tiny one though. “I couldn’t punch her; I’m too chicken to do it.”

“No,” I disagree quickly. “You’re just being a gentleman.”

The both of us stare at each other. Keith has a face of surprise and happiness when I say that. I have the sudden urge to kiss him and…

“Are we calling each other by last names now?” Keith asks teasingly, obviously changing the subject.

“Do you prefer Skirt Boy, then?” I ask with an evil grin.