Ready To Go Home

~Chapter Twenty-Eight~

Jake

                Taking Nathan to the hospital the next day was horrible… We weren’t able to get through to him. He hasn’t said a word since yesterday…

                Nurses and doctors took turns coming in, looking at Nathan, then turning around and leaving. Nathan’s mom had gone to a two week trip for work, in hopes of getting a better position to receive more money. We hoped Nathan would be out before she would notice… We couldn’t tell her yet… They needed her to get a better job…

                I stayed at Nathan’s side the entire time. Like before, I didn’t accept food or water, but it was simply because I didn’t want to get up and use the bathroom from fear of losing him somehow… I could feel myself shaking. Natalie had gotten minor cuts and broken bones, along with Liam breaking a leg during the fight. My father managed to go through the fight with bruises… We lost a small, adolescent boy who had no parents… My mother said it could have been for the best… He didn’t have a purpose, and he was on so much medication to keep him sane… He was in a better place…

                Nathan whimpered while he slept. He had a severe night terror as he slept and he was put on relaxers and pain medication. The police found the bodies. Everyone besides Cayden was claimed to have been killed by wolves. Cayden was stabbed fifty-seven times… All by Nathan. The police were standing outside Nathan’s room, waiting to talk to him. My family pleaded that Cayden had kidnapped and raped Nathan, and Nathan killed Cayden in defense, but they wouldn’t listen. They needed to talk to Nathan.

                I haven’t heard much from Kegan or Larrin about Addison… All I can think of is her dying… It’d shatter everything, including Nathan… Anymore heartbreaking, soul-wrenching tragedy and I don’t think he could ever recover…

                A doctor with a nurse came in, holding a clipboard and looking it over. He pushed his glasses further up his nose as he read over Nathan’s papers. I watched as the nurse murmured to the doctor. I can’t make out what they were saying…

                “So, this is Nathan Greene?” The doctor looked at me with a questioning face. I nodded. “He is sixteen, correct?” I nodded again. The doctor let out a sigh and looked at Nathan. “He’s the talk of the hospital, you know… We’ve done our best to keep the news reporters and cameras off this floor so the public won’t be allowed to see him like this or force you or your family to say anything…” I nodded and looked at Nathan. The doctor watched me. “Do you want us to give him psychiatric help?” My mom looked up.        

                “Wh-What? Psychiatric? He’s just been through a hard time; he’s not insane!” My mom yelled.

                “Mrs. Atkinson, please. We don’t believe he’s insane. He’s been through traumatic experiences and from his past, there’s a possibly we could lose him…” The doctor spoke in a very calm tone that even pissed me off.

                “The past is in the past; people change,” I growled. Nathan was better… He was eating healthily, he was clean from cutting…

                “Even so, we’ve seen the worst come from traumatic experiences such as these. Not to mention Nathan has been through several counts of such heinous crimes.” The doctor was writing on his clipboard. “And if he does go through treatment, it will be all free, including medication, if needed.”