Marking What's Mine

~Chapter Twelve~

Jake

                "Nathan...?" I asked in a raspy whisper, falling to my knees. He couldn't die... Please, God, don't take him away...

                My shaky hands gently went under his body, easily picking him up and cradling him close to my body. Tears had stained his cheeks, along with a few smears of drying blood. I kept looking him over, wanting a movement... A noise... Something.

                The scent of blood was literally soaking his clothes and hands. What had he done...?

                A little whimper escaped Nathan's lips, making my heart race. He didn't die... I watched as Nathan's eyelids struggled to open, but they soon revealed Nathan's blue eyes. He looked around, then at me.

                "J-Jake..." He whispered, and tears came to his eyes in an instant. I shifted so I could hold him closer, feel his heartbeat and hear his breath. I leaned down and kissed his cheek, drying a few tears that had fallen.

                "Natey... What happened...?" I asked softly, pulling back to watch his face. "You weren't there for lunch... And you never came to me for a ride home." He wasn't looking at me, but I could already see so much raw emotion and terrible sadness ready to spill from his mouth into words. He sniffled as he gripped my shirt tightly, shaking a bit.

                "Th-The-They kn-know..." He whispered, more tears falling. I didn't really understand. What did he ever have to hide?

                "Who knows what...?" All of a sudden, he went into full sobs, his body jerking as he gasped for air. I felt a lump form in my throat. What had hurt him so badly..?

                "TH-THEY KNOW I-I'M G-GAY!!!" He cried hysterically, still not looking at me. "TH-THE NO-NOTES! TH-THE MARKER! THE BL-BLADES!!!!!!" My heart stopped. Blades.

                Nathan's mother had told me all about his past years of high school and even in middle school. The cutting had gotten bad back then, but he was getting better... Or so we thought.

                I gently took hold of Nathan's shoulders, forcing him to look at me. "Nathan... Natey, please, I need to know..." My hand instinctively went up and gently cupped his cheek. "Calm down, and tell me what happened... No one can hurt you while I'm here..." That seemed to be what he needed... A little comfort. He sat up and wiped his nose with his sleeve. I know this is a bad time, but that was so damn cute.

                "P-People at sch-school..." He started softly, keeping his eyes low. "Th-They know I-I'm gay... A-And now they're tor-torturing m-me..." He swallowed hard, and looked to the side. "Th-They wrote all over m-my locker... T-Telling me to go to h-hell... T-Threats t-to kill o-or b-beat me... And na-names.." My heart ached. People were bullying him like this, just because he prefers to be HAPPY with another guy. What was so wrong?

                "A-And they g-gave me a gift.." He whispered again, looking at his bag. I felt one of my eyebrows raise.

                "A gift?" I also looked at his schoolbag before grabbing it and searching its pockets. I felt Nathan's eyes as he watched me search for whatever they had given him. After a bit, I came up with a small box. I glanced at Nathan to see if it was what I was looking for. He nodded a bit. I glanced down at the box and saw the writing. My anger level rose. I could almost just hear their voices speak the words they had written on the lid: