16: Sleepover?

"Knitting is confusing, Shooting Star," Bill whined, "and it's boring. How about we do something actually fun?"

"Knitting sweaters is my idea of fun." Mabel said. "Destroying monsters is not on the list."

"What can we do that we both think is fun?"

"Do you bake?"

"Baking?" Bill tilted his head.

"Never mind." Mabel sighed.

How is this going to work!? Mabel thought. It's going to take decades to make Bill the way he was!

And then, Mabel grew very tired. She realized it's around midnight in her realm.

Bill noticed Mabel yawning. "Are you tired?"

"Yeah." She nodded.

"Can't you just, not be tired?" Bill shrugged. "I wanna do something with you."

"Well I need sleep, Bill."

"Ugh, fine." He rolled his eyes. "Your room is down the hall and to the right."

Mabel got up from her sweater pile and started heading down the hall, barely keeping her eyes open.

As she left, Bill suddenly felt alone. He turned his head, watching Mabel walk down to her room. Without thinking, he got up and followed her.

When Mabel reached her door, she entered the room, not realizing Bill was right behind her. She immediately flopped onto the bed and drifted off to sleep in a snap.

Bill, noticing she was asleep, carefully went on the bed, laying next to Mabel. He watched her sleep, thinking she was adorable.

Then Bill himself felt very tired, and closed his eyes. Before drifting off to sleep, he clutched Mabel's hand.

And then he whispered into her ear, "I want to be the man you fell in love with, Shooting Star."

~

(The next morning)

The sunlight from the window shined brightly at Mabel's face, causing her to wake up. She rubbed her eyes and noticed that she wasn't alone.

Mabel screamed at the sight of Bill. "Bill! What the hell are you doing in my bed?!"

This caused Bill to immediately wake up. "W-why are you so mad?!"

"I'm not ready for that stuff!" Mabel blushed.

"Shooting Star, it's not what it looks like!" Bill shook his head. "I was just lonely."

"You? Lonely?" Mabel tilted her head. "That's a first."

"I just wanted to be with you. That's all."

Mabel sighed. "Okay, I believe you."

Mabel began to think. He's already slightly changing. He's lonely? Maybe he'll be good faster than I thought.