Chapter 1

Hi!  Thanks for reading! I know this is short for a first chapter but it does get longer. I try to update every Saturday night. Drop me a comment and tell me what you think!

Later! 

Chapter 1- New Beginnings

Helen's P.O.V

" You've got to be kidding me." I stared dejectedly at the building, then at the ripped piece of paper in my hand, then at the building again. I checked the address, the post code, even the street sign.

"5 Poplar Drive"- my new start in life- was a chip shop.

The smell hit me first. Fried misery and sweat. Yum. The man at the counter looked me up and down with an air of confusion. I must have looked conspicious, to say the least. My soaked blond hair was plastered across my cheeks, suitcase at my feet, optimistically short sleeved T shirt and shorts. I screamed American tourist. But looks can't kill and I came here for a reason. 

"Excuse me, sir." I tried to control the shivering. Confident and composed at all times. His eyes registered something akin to disgust.

His voice was slow and monotonous. Then he fixed a grimace on his face to play the well rehearsed part of helpful patron.

"Good evening. Can I take your order, please? The cheeseburger is half price when you buy-"

"Do the Jenks family live near here?" 

Clearly annoyed that I wasn't going to buy anything, he sucked his teeth and popped up the hatch separating us. 

"Upstairs and on your left."

I squeezed past his enormous stomach into the kitchens. I begrudged him a smile. 

"Thanks."

Almost inaudibly, he muttered to himself, "Don't blame me if you don't like what you find."

I turned on my heels and carried on, head high.

Oh, I'm counting on it, I thought to myself.

*       *     *

Nina's P.O.V

"I don't need a guardian. Who is she, anyway?"  I stared out into the night. The rain was pelting down. Matched my mood.

"She's your sister an-"

"She's not my sister."

"Stepsister."  Charlie covered his face with his hands. I  heard him counting to ten under his breath.  He took on the air of someone speaking to a small child.

"Before your dad died, he left a will. Yes?"

"Of course. I watched him make it."

"In it he appoints a legal guardian. Do you know what that is, Nina?"

I stared him square in the eyes. "Someone who has full responsibility of caring and providing for a minor or otherwise vunerable individual. They support them financially, enroll them in suitable school and, in the case of a deceased parent, must adhere strictly to the wishes said parent had in his or her lifetime. I do read, Charlie."

His eyes flashed a little at me using his name. "So, to look at it logically, whoever said parent appoints as guardian must be a suitable match. Yes?" He smiled smugly. He knew that he'd won.

"Surely you wouldn't go against your father's last wishes?" He was rubbing salt in the wound, revelling in his own minor victory.

"No."

He clapped his hand on my shoulder. "I knew you'd understand!" 

I understood, all right. I understood that my dad had taken a fit of madness. Step one- moving here. Step two- having this idiot as his best friend for 30 years. Step three- appointing her as my guardian. And now, I'm supposed to be cheery and talk about shopping and how excited I am that Helen Homewrecker is barging into my life.

I mean, it's been 13 years. Why return now?

***

Helen's P.O.V.

The doorknob was cold to the touch. Could I really do this? I never knew her and now I'm caring for her? For a minute, I feel sick. Big mistake. I couldn't do it. I should never have come here. What was I thinking?

Wait. What was I doing? I've come three and a half thousand miles to be here. I can't go back now, especially not since... 

I shook away the memory. With faltering resolve, I quickly gripped and turned the knob, before I could change my mind.

 A figure crashes into my chest, knocking us both over. "Oof. Hey!" She went to reach for her bag, by my shoulder, but I grab her wrist firmly. In pure shock, I found myself laughing.

"Going somewhere nice?"

"Let me go!" She struggled but I've had a solid hold on her now. She was red in the face, trying to break free. She turned her face up to glare at me.

I dropped her hand like I've been scorched. I'd stopped laughing. That face...but that was impossible, not here, not now.

She stumbles to her feet but the commotion had drawn the attention of those inside. A man grasped her shoulder, keeping her rooted to the spot. He smiled down at me. 

"Helen? Helen Daw?"

I brought myself up slowly, my knees threatening to give way. 

"Y-Yes." I tried and failed to stop my voice from shaking.

He held  out an olive, calloused hand to shake warmly. I shake it firmly, still not taking my eyes off her face. 

She couldn't  be there. There was no way. But she was there, she was looking at me. How? Why?  I studied her face intently. Could she... no, that's wasn't right. Relief coursed through my veins. I saw that I'm wrong. It's not her. The hair, the eyes, the contours of her face, it was all wrong. A smile exploded across my face.

It wasn't her.

The man looked questioningly at me for a few moments but decides against doing anything. He had a muscular frame but hid it under a ratty old leather jacket. Trying to be cool.  He smiles back, obviously thinking my smile is intended for him. He has a lovely smile, white shining out behind chiselled lips, dazzling me a little. He looked at me for a few moments more then, as if remembering what he came to do, thrusted the girl forward.

I saw her face clearer then. Not so much beautiful as striking. Her hair was a burnt auburn, masking her face as she bent down to pick something up. A few seconds later she popped back up, fixing a grey tartan trilby on her head. It must have fallen off when she bumped into me. It was evidently too big and fell down her face a little. She straightened a wonky pair of glasses and fiddled a little with their positioning. Her eyes gradually met mine. Grey, like the hat. They burned with an intense passion. 

"This is Nina."

The man motioned us through the open doorway, blabbering on about how I came just in the nick of time and how we have so much to discuss and how do I take my tea? I'm not listening, I just followed behind, overwhelmed with happiness, feeling like I could fly. Because it will be fine now, better than fine- everything will be perfect with Nina. Nothing could harm us now.

She wasn't her.