Chapter 22

• Dedicated to All My Amazing Readers

Um, hi. Remember me? Yeah, OK, it's been a long while, an inexcusably long while but my mocks are finally over and Christmas is just around the corner, as is the ending of this book, I really hope you've enjoyed it and I couldn't have asked for more kind or supportive (or incredibly patient!) readers- you guys are the best. 

Also, be sure to check out the work of @Oliver8, an amazing dystopian and thriller writer, who I am absolutely honoured to be collaborating with. I'll be collaborating the characters of this book with the characters of his brilliant book, "Four Words, Four Kills." If you haven't read it yet, check it out!

One more thing- all of this work belongs solely to me, and is copyrighted to me. I've spent the bst part of 2 years on this so please don't take it. Please, guys?

And most of all, thank you all. I never would have finished this story without my absolutely brilliant and talented readers. Thank you for reading my attempts at writing.

Chapter 22- Tick Tock

Helen's P.O.V

        "Nina!" I stumbled through the rocks, ignoring the nicks at my feet, cupping freezing hands around my mouth and hollering again. "NINA!" I shivered and pulled my jacket tighter around myself. Sure, she couldn't have been taken to a sandy tropical beach. No, she was trapped somewhere in a freezing, Irish quarry in the middle of December. Sighing, I picked my way through the uneven ground. This place was massive, I didn't even know where to start. I shouted for Nina again but my cries were lost on the wind. I couldn't keep this up. 

        It was growing darker by the minute, I could barely see a finger in front of me and every step provided another challenge. Nina could be anywhere in this place, I could wander this stone maze for centuries and never find her. Who knows? She might even have died already. But that image, Nina bleeding out alone like that poor Eliza girl was too much to bear. She had had so much ahead of her too, a bright future, was what they said. Nina wouldn't be like that. Not because of me. And definitely not because of her.

        If she wants something she just takes it, I reminded myself. Looks like she already had.  Hindisight is a beautiful thing, I realized. What was even more beautiful? Common sense. If I'd had any, I would have ignored Dad's email. I would have stayed in America. I wouldn't have gotten some kid mixed up in my business. Especially a know it all like this one, that was just asking for trouble. And given my track record, I seemed to be pretty good at attracting trouble as it was.

        Speaking of trouble, I whirled around at the crunch of gravel before chiding myself. Really? Now of all times, you're scared? Bit late for that, isn't it? But stuck in a freezing cold rocky hell, I wasn't particularly paying attention to my bitter internal monologue. I was far too focused on the eerie shadows cast in the dim light and that recurring crunch of gravel and the sickening feeling of eyes tracing my every move. This wass ridiculous. I was a grown woman. But I couldn't quite shake that feeling...I sighed heavily and counted my paces. Step. Step. Step. Step.

Stop. I stood stock still and waited...and waited.

And there it was. Far off in the distance- Step. Step. Step.

I whirled around again, the cold wind whipping my hair into a tangle and shielding my vision. But even that didn't stop me noticing a long shadow unable to hide quick enough. This is the point when I should have run, heels and all. That's what a normal person would have done. But ha, me? Normal runs for cover when I show my face. I headed towards the shadow. Whoever it was, good or almost certainly bad, would lead to Nina.