Chapter 10

Sorry for the lateness of this update. I was at a friend's wedding this weekend so I had no chance to update. So....*guilty expression* I would like to apologize for that. OK here we go, the wait is over... hope you forgive me after this! Oh, and I also wanted to ask- do any of you have any good songs that will suit Nina or Helen, Nina in particular? Just wanted to ask as you guys always have an answer to my questions- another reason why you are all so awesome!

Later!

Chapter 10-  It's Complicated

Helen P.O.V

I silently cursed myself. Their furtive whispers reached my ears. Block it out, like you always have, I told myself. They don't know you, no-one knows you.  I reached up and wiped down the table surfaces as the teachers watched me with distaste. Well, it's hardly like cleaning the staff room is giving me any pleasure. Sure, what else does a  23 year old women want to do with their Friday evening? 

A tall, curvaceous female teacher came up to me, all fake smiles and blank eyes. "I think you missed a bit, sweetie." She pointed with a lean, pretty finger at a stained spot. I could have been someone like her. Someone whose only care was whether their room was clean, and whether they had marked enough work before going home to their happy families and husbands and kids and......I caught myself, my breathing was becoming ragged. No, I could not cry. No one plays violins for you when you're someone like me. I will never be someone like her, I have none of that.

You have Nina, a little voice piped up from the back of my head. I smiled at that. God, I missed her. It wasn't until I was somewhere like this place, a staff room with so many  people out to get the others, to impress us all, that you missed her. Her honesty, her integrity, her innocence. Nina would never betray you or run away when you needed help. But Nina also spoke her mind, maybe I should do the same. I turned to the curvy teacher and looked straight up into her eyes. "I'm not stopping you cleaning it yourself, sweetie." 

Curvy teacher looked outraged, anger reddening her perfectly made up face. "And who are you to tell me what to do? I'm a professional and you're...you're just you! A nobody, who could respect you?" She smiled a dazzling white smile- she knew she had hit a nerve. People had been telling me this my whole life. And I had faced so much worse than this little brat. 

"You don't know anything about me. And you don't want to. But one day, your pretty little life will come crashing down. And you can choose to give up everything to save it or take the easy way out. That way comes with the worst price. And when its over, nothing will save you." I realised I was breathing heavily, hands clenched into fists. This was getting too personal. Almost by default, I fingered the edge of the phone in my jean pocket, like a burden, always there to drag me down.

You can't win.

Those words echoed around my mind, making me dizzy. I surveyed the shocked, pale faces at my outburst. And then I ran. I've never stopped running and I guess I never will. Rounding arounf a corner into another corridor, I was brought to my knees. I knelt against a door, covering my face with my hands. I could feel my mascara running down my cheeks. Another mistake, then running away from it. I was never going to stop- I couldn't ever stop. Rocking myself on the cold hard floor, I heard a buzz from my phone. No, I couldn't face it again. Not another message from "her". But if I didn't? That was too horrible to think about. Embracing my knees, I reached a hand into my pocket and checked the glowing screeen.

"Hey, Nina gave me your number- Charlie, we met at Nina's house, remember? Give me a call. We could go to dinner sometime?"

I almost laughed in a confused relief. Not "her". But with a sinking feeling I remembered that I couldn't, this was too dangerous as it was. I texted back quickly.