Chapter 6

Part two of the special two chapters, one update offer. Like a BOGOF for writing... : )

Later!

Chapter 6- The New Pact

Helen P.O.V

God, 23 years old and there I was, back in the Head's Office. Sitting in a lumpy chair, waiting for that verdict from those horn-rimmed eyes. Just like the old days. I caught myself smiling before I remembered that it isn't. It isn't like the old days. I'm never going back to those days ever again.  Some of my discontent must show on my face because the horn-rimmed eyes darken.

"Miss Jenks-" Mrs Prism started, in a dull monotone, still red in the face from the Nina debacle earlier.

"Miss Daw."

Mrs Prism pursed her lips. "Sorry?" 

Eager to please, I found myself blurting out the explanation, almost apologetically. "My mother reverted back to her maiden name after divorcing my dad. Me and Nina are step-sisters."

Mrs. Prism refocused her attention from my parental relations to a sheet printed with figures and numbers and dates. "Nina and I."

Great. Another thing I had done wrong. Well done, Helen.

"Miss Daw, as you call yourself, you have not made the payment of the fees to the school." Mrs. Prism fixed me with withering gaze, adjusting her spectacles further down her nose for maximum effect.

"Yes, I was meaning to talk to you about that..."

Her eyebrows raised a quarter of an inch or so, giving her a sceptical look.

"Surely you can be more sensitive to the situation?" I could feel the hope ebb out of me.

"I'm sorry , Miss Daw," she emphasised the "Daw" as if the very mention of my name was offensive to her, "but Nina does not constitute as a special case."

"You saw her." With some giddy insistence, I lent forward. "Nina is most likely the most special child to walk through these doors, and you won't let her stay...because I can't pay the fees?" 

Mrs. Prism sighed and glanced down at the sheet of sums in front of her with a sickened air.

"The school has to support both its primary school and secondary school needs. That is more than 2000 pupils, Miss Daw. You may never had lead something this important but it is my responsibility to see things run smoothly here. Funds are tight enough as things are-"

I smile. This is my chance, if I play this right, it's in the bag.

"You're losing staff. You can't afford to pay them their regular wage. You can't have a school without staff, Mrs. Prism."

The look behind those horn-rims told all. I had struck a chord there. 

I had to phrase the next bit carefully. Easy does it. "If you needed someone to work...Mrs. Prism, I'd take anything. Just for Nina's education. And enough to put the food on the table." This was the most important part. I looked straight up into those horn rims and locked onto the emotion behind the lenses.

"Please don't take away Nina's chances because of my mistakes. You know what its like- I'll lose her. She won't succeed if she's boxed up in care." My gaze fell on the ripped photo on the desk.  "If it was your son...wouldn't you do the same?" My phone buzzes in my pocket  but I  ignore it. Not helpful. I'm not going to mess this up, not like everything else.